First time food processor owner

Replies

• t14cy_tt14cy_t Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    hi all, ive only got a stick blender for soups and make cakes with spoons still!! however, i would like to make pate, as theres always ys chicken livers and we love pate!!! what machine would anyone recommend for this?? also, whizzing up breadcrumbs would be good too!!xx
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had/used one. If I think about it, it's really been mostly for the following reasons (aside from which one/cost):
    Mohawk wrote: »
    .... extra washing-up.... over a certain quantity, it becomes worth it (but I cook for one, that certain quantity won't occur).... wasn't convinced it was a particularly cost effective purchase ....

For the instances above where people've said "to make pastry", I'd say "buy it in sheets ... I don't need to make pastry - if I made it easier to make I'd be much larger :)

So, all in all ... it seems, for me, an expensive space-gobbler without much actual day-to-day purpose.... plus the faff of the extra washing up.

I like the idea, I just don't see how I could use one without changing everything about what/how I cook etc.
  • Captain_BluebearCaptain_Bluebear Forumite
    213 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    I adore mine!

I use mine for making my own 'lazy garlic', frozen grated cheese and frozen chopped onions to add straight to recipes. (Lazy garlic, I keep in small jars topped up with cider vinegar. Cheese and Onions are flash frozen before bagging up in resealable freezer bags)

I also use it for making Pate, hummus and AMAZING flat mushroom and kidney bean burgers that you would swear has meat in them!

As others have said, I have learnt to my cost that hand washing is the way to go with the bowls but it's well worth the 2 mins that takes for not having to chop all those flipping onions!

Have a look on Pinterest for more ideas and I really hope you enjoy your new toy!
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My shiny new Magimix arrived today. I think the first use will be for Mohawk's caramelised onions, as I have a huge onion given to me by a gardening friend. I love the look of the brocoli/parmesan meatballs, I think that I probably have everything needed for those. Thank you.:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Captain_BluebearCaptain_Bluebear Forumite
    213 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    t14cy_t wrote: »
    hi all, ive only got a stick blender for soups and make cakes with spoons still!! however, i would like to make pate, as theres always ys chicken livers and we love pate!!! what machine would anyone recommend for this?? also, whizzing up breadcrumbs would be good too!!xx

Food processors are perfect for making pate! (and it's lovely for a Christmas treat)

I'll dig out my recipe and post it if anyone is interested.

Bluebear
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had/used one. If I think about it, it's really been mostly for the following reasons (aside from which one/cost):

For the instances above where people've said "to make pastry", I'd say "buy it in sheets ... I don't need to make pastry - if I made it easier to make I'd be much larger :)

So, all in all ... it seems, for me, an expensive space-gobbler without much actual day-to-day purpose.... plus the faff of the extra washing up.

I like the idea, I just don't see how I could use one without changing everything about what/how I cook etc.

That's fair enough, you cook for one, hate filling the freezer and only cook using certain appliances

Which I totally understand and am not knocking you at all

For me, to make say lamb donor, or whizz up left overs for rissoles , decide 20 mins before dinner is served I want stuffing with it, or whizz up a load of onions making a curry.

Yes I've washing up ( I don't dishwasher it) but it's time saved and dishes possible that make mine the most used electrical appliance in my kitchen
  • La_escocesaLa_escocesa Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    DNMS - I REALLY want a FP now!! :rotfl:

Does anyone have one in a small kitchen or is it something that would take up quite a bit of space?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My food processor also collects the ingredients, cooks, and does the washing up. The ironing is another matter however .... :D
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Food processors are perfect for making pate! (and it's lovely for a Christmas treat)

I'll dig out my recipe and post it if anyone is interested.

Bluebear

Yes please:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DNMS - I REALLY want a FP now!! :rotfl:

Does anyone have one in a small kitchen or is it something that would take up quite a bit of space?

Get a magimix

Expensive but a pure work horse and has the foot print of a kettle, hence mine is sat on the counter ready to use

The magimix is like a Kenwood

I got mine a few years back really quite cheap because the colour that year wasn't fashionable. Guess what? It's back in fashion :). Cost £40 quid less because of that
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides