MoneySaving Poll: Do tear-jerker Christmas ads change where you shop?

Options
Poll started 21 November 2016

Do tear-jerker Christmas ads, such as the bouncing John Lewis dog, change where you shop?

Whether it’s John Lewis’s dog bouncing on a trampoline, Aldi’s carrot traversing a Christmas dinner or Waitrose’s two robins uniting over a mince pie, a host of maudlin Christmas ads are designed to tug at our heart and purse strings.

While they certainly get column inches and boost brand recognition, do they change where you do your Christmas shopping?

Has this year’s or previous years’ ads ever affected where you shop?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    I mute the TV when the ads are on and if it's a really annoying one, I turn over.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Lois_Lane
    Lois_Lane Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Options
    Haha, looks like they're wasting their money making these adverts!
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    I can't see the option for No Impact - I don't do christmas shopping anyway.
  • Bandy12_2
    Options
    Apparently John Lewis Ad 'only" cost £1 million this year compared to
    £6 million a couple of years back! Christmas is a time for giving! If John Lewis, etc want to encourage me to shop with them, then they should donate the cost of these Xmas Ads to Charity instead. This would certainly make me more inclined to shop with them!
  • Crustycrutch
    Options
    I like the ads but very rarely am I overtly influenced by them. I wouldn't shop at John Lewis anyway because they are too expensive for my budget.

I visited the new John Lewis in Chelmsford recently more out of curiosity than anything - I was in and out in 15 minutes when I discovered that two coffees, a glorified hotdog and a danish pastry was priced at over £15!

My partner accused me of being tight (I am) but we had as good or better in a cafe outside of town for less than a tenner. No contest :)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't seen an advert for years. As soon as they start or when the nob on tv says "coming up" I've changed channels for 3.5 minutes.

Or I record a program I want to watch and start viewing it 15 mins after it's started and just fast forward the ads and the show still finishes at the same time.

Or quite often record the whole thing like the MSE show last night and fast forward through 95% (who cares about idiots that haven't swapped their gas and electric over after 38 years- they are idiots and subsidising my cheap gas- leave them be) to the bit you need to know such as the code on generic and branded drugs.

Same with the radio, as soon as they start on Classic FM I've reached out and changed to Radio 3. Why would you waste your life with this rubbish?
  • tasty_snacks
    Options
    This is the only thing that should influence anyone's spending this year.
  • Mrs_TAYLOR
    Options
    The John Lewis one with the big, barking dog, combined the massive trampoline, in a small suburban garden (think: screaming kids on summer days when the windows are open, barking dogs the other side of the fence when you're having a nice relaxing pinot in the garden after work ...) sends a shiver down my spine. Definately doesn't attract me to J.L!
  • terrynotteresa
    Options
    I hope the department stores look at this poll and decide not to inflict their sappy, nauseating ads on us ever again. Some hope, huh.
  • Stockie
    Stockie Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like the consensus is the large retailers should do away with their huge expensive Christmas ads and invest the money in lower prices instead, but I'm sure their marketing teams will look at their sales and go "hey look they wouldn't happen if you hadn't given us millions to spend on annoying ads!"
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer(s) or anyone else
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure