Lowell financial ltd. surprise letter!

Options
Hello all!
I'm new to posting here, here goes...

I received a letter from Lowell Financial Ltd. stating they have bought a debt I owed BT for £152. I had an account with BT that I closed in June 2012, I telephoned and gave at least 30 days notice of my moving out date! I was unaware of this 'debt' until a few days ago! I ave emailed Lowell and they are contacting BT which could take 60+ days! I'm 100% sure I don't owe them anything. What do I do? Should I complain to BT? They may have tried to contact me before but obviously I moved house and I didn't contact them because the account had been closed! well I thought it had! I would have disputed it sooner if I knew!

They have placed a default on my credit report! what do I do to get it removed? Me and my partner are supposed to be buying a house early next year. my mood keeps going from stupidly upset to bloody livid!

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Kayko and welcome to MSE,

Situations like this can be frustrating but try and take it one step at a time. Firstly, formalise the issue to Lowell in a letter. Clearly outline the problem and how you want it resolved and explain that if it is unresolved within 8 weeks you will consider going to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

You can try and speed things up doing your own Subject Access Request to both Lowell and BT. This will cost £10 per application but they have just 40days to comply. You can ask for any information held on you under DPA, which can include phone transcripts, proof of letters sent, breakdown of the debt etc.

If no money is deemed to be owed then you can request them to remove the default as it is incorrect data - which they should do. Unfortunately, if the debt is correct, the default will remain for 6 years from the date of default. A paid default is better than an outstanding one. But like I said, one step at a time.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,026 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 November 2016 at 12:52AM
    Options
    Ah Lovely Lowell, very active in the debt purchasing market.

Well at least they are attempting to obtain proof of the debt for you.

Wait and see what "proof" they come back to you with, and take it from there.

If it turns out the debt was genuinely owed, it will be tricky to get the default removed, however, you could include default removal as part of any settlement offer you may choose to make them.

On the other hand, if the debt is not owed, then you would give Lowell 30 days in which to remove said default, or make a complaint to the ICO.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Kayko
    Kayko Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I really didn't expect anyone to answer :)

I have emailed Lowell for a quick solution and removal of the default I would agree to just pay the £150. I tried to make an appointment with CAB but could only get a telephone appointment in 2 weeks time due to living in a rural location! I don't have 60 days to wait for a response from BT and a long drawn out process! Honestly money means nothing if your not happy. I have a history of mental health issues and I can already feel the darkness creeping back! Hopefully they'll agree, I just want to start looking at houses!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,026 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Unfortunately as Lowell placed the default on your file, only they can remove it, so you will have to wait it out.

If it turns out this debt is owed, however innocently, i would prepare yourself for the fact this default cannot normally be removed, only marked as satisfied, when paid.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Can we have a closer look at the dates here. You closed the account in June 2012.

When did Lowell buy the account?

When is the default dated?

Are you saying that the default is on the Lowell entry?

Is there any entry at all relating to BT? If so, what does that say?
  • Kayko
    Kayko Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, I didn't see the last two until just now!

After emailing Lowell I had a response informing me I had been forwarded to the complaints department, which worried mt slightly! Within 10 days I received an email before Christmas stating that though they apologise, do not wish to admit liability but they would cease pursing the debt and remove the repossession/default from my file within 60 days! I have just checked my clearscore and it's gone! I can't quite believe it!

Thank you all so much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport