Hospital and benefits

Options
Hi I am just posting as I am in a bit of a state over my husband's benefits. He has suffered a severe stroke and two weeks after a pulmonary embolism in hospital resulting in significant clots in both lungs. He has been in hospital for six weeks and I rang DLA and they are stopping his care and mobility payments (been overpaid two weeks :eek::eek:). They are stopping paying for his car - he would never have used the money for a Motability car if he knew this was ever going to happen. When he had a previous stroke 3 years ago i had to give up work to be his carer andeven my carer's allowance is being stopped. I am at my wits end. My husband is really unwell and i am spending almost all day (12-8) with him. The last thing I need is all this added stress. Ijust wanted to let off steam.

Comments

• sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hope you're feeling a bit better having let off steam. Can I suggest you ask if there is a welfare rights officer at the hospital. They may be able to look at any benefits you can claim etc whilst current benefits are cut / suspended.

I'm all to aware of the risk of mobility payments if in hospital not to mention what would happen should DLA or PIP be declined and have to go to appeal. Almost sole reason I chose to buy the car myself as I'm more in control that way.

Hope your husband makes a rapid recovery as you move on together.
  • wannabecontent
    Options
    Thank you sheeps 68. I do feel better after moaning! Unfortunately it looks as if my husband is going to be in for another 4 weeks. His car is due for renewal at the end of January and I think I am going to suggest not getting another car. At this moment it doesn't even look as if he will be able to go out of the house once he does come home. He will be coming home to a hospital bed ��
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask/ look at Motability web site regarding hospital rules .
  • wannabecontent
    Options
    Thank you JJEgan. I have just spoken to Motability and they were very helpful. They said they will support us for the first 3 months and I don't have to worry about anything. I am the onky driver on the insurance and I can continue to use the car. A huge weight off for now. Think he will be in hospital another 3-4 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure