We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Roofing work overcharged advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• KarenC80
    Options
    Disappointing, but thanks for the info.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    KarenC80 wrote: »
    as we have cctv I thought I'd watch them doing their 2 1/2 work, they certainly never stopped...walking around, making themselves look busy, I reckon the job they did could have been done in an hour or less
    You have a camera trained on your roof???
    They haven't been paid and they're not going to be, we've got the consumer rights act 2015 on our side and the solicitor primed if it comes to it.
    I'm not sure I'd be as certain as you are that you can simply withhold all payment..
    A solicitor will certainly cost you, though...
    One other thing which we find a huge coincidence is 10 days after they did the work we scared off 2 burglars with balaclavas from the back of our house, the next night they broke in through the roof to a garage 2 doors away which was very visible from our roof! We've told the police and provided footage, so far they seem typical useless.
    What are you suggesting? That the roofers are burglars? Your evidence is circumstantial at best. No wonder the Police weren't interested in your "footage".
  • Aced2016
    Options
    I personally would pay the reduced rate offered. I think you will cause yourself a lot of unecessary trouble and stress with this !

I agree it was pricey and you were misled to an extent ! But most sales people do that.

Next time get a few quotes and a fully detailed quote. But I would pay the reduced rate he offered, take it as a lesson and move on.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Federation of master builders, are a federation, you pay to join them, no guarantee of work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport