Claiming PPI on Hire Purchase

Options
Hi,
I bought a car through HP, and am sure there was PPI on it. How do i go about claiming, as this goes back to 1991 and i don't have any paperwork! Is it possible to claim?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) You need to prove you had PPI
    2) You need to prove it was miss-sold
    3) Your sale was 25 years ago, the chances of them having any paperwork to show you paid it is probably 0
    4) It was 14 years before financial sales in dealerships were regulated so the place that sold it you, even if they are still trading, doesn't have to consider your complaint
    5) Without any proof you even had PPI, let alone proof you were miss-sold, it's also pretty much 0 chance the underwriters would look at it

I'd let this one go
  • SolidGold
    Options
    thanks. thought i would be a long shot!!
  • nj68
    nj68 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    May be a long shot this...but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have a look at my thread...Is Creditcare ppi?

You haven't got your original agreement you say, which is unfortunate...

Who was your bank in '91...if you are still with them, there may just be an outside possibility they have an old statement of yours from this period...I got statements from 2001 onwards so there may be hope...

If you do get a statement showing your payment on this loan you may be able to glean an account number and it should show who was receiving your money...if you manage to get these, start writing to the loan provider...its amazing the information that suddenly turns up when they have already binned it

As I said... a long shot...but explore all avenues, its your money...imagine the interest from 1991!!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not on a hire purchase car, the dealer would have sold it, not the provider, so even if the dealer was still in business, they wouldn't have been regulated.
    If the OP has no paperwork, it's highly unlikely the dealer has, and the only way to find out what you've sugested is to send a SAR and £10 to their bank.
    It'll be a long shot if he can find something but as you say, there's always hope....

Congrats on your success by the way.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nj68 wrote: »
    May be a long shot this...but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have a look at my thread...Is Creditcare ppi?

You haven't got your original agreement you say, which is unfortunate...

Who was your bank in '91...if you are still with them, there may just be an outside possibility they have an old statement of yours from this period...I got statements from 2001 onwards so there may be hope...

If you do get a statement showing your payment on this loan you may be able to glean an account number and it should show who was receiving your money...if you manage to get these, start writing to the loan provider...its amazing the information that suddenly turns up when they have already binned it

As I said... a long shot...but explore all avenues, its your money...imagine the interest from 1991!!

You are one of a small number who got lucky where the underwriters of a finance package agreed to payout (the sum, under £2000, was probably an auto-pay where they don't both fighting it even though they don't have liability). If the OP here has no documentation or proof they ever had or paid for PPI, it's not worth a shot as it won't go anywhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure