Reclaim Bank fees Query

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
3 replies 1.1K views
Z3roCoolZ3roCool Forumite
1 Post
I opened my bank account many years ago (1996) and only realised a few years ago that I have been paying a monthly fee. Dipped in and out of overdraft on account so always had charges and interest coming out of the account so never noticed the fees being taken out (Always thought it was charges etc - never really looked at it that hard!)

I am looking at trying to claim these fees back as never used any of the benefits with the account (Did not know there were any until a few years ago when I had an account review - still did not tell me then I was paying a fee each month for them).

My question is though, does my overdraft usage have any effect on the outcome of a claim? In other words is the overdraft facility independent to the benefits that you pay a monthly fee for?

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is though, does my overdraft usage have any effect on the outcome of a claim? In other words is the overdraft facility independent to the benefits that you pay a monthly fee for?

Potentially. However, more to do with the charges and interest rate rather than the facility itself.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible you were given the overdraft as a perk of the bank account [ lower overdraft fees] so your overdraft was conditonal on taking the packaged account. That's one complaint reason, if it's true.
  • micky2phonesmicky2phones Forumite
    485 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Z3roCool wrote: »
    I opened my bank account many years ago (1996) and only realised a few years ago that I have been paying a monthly fee. Dipped in and out of overdraft on account so always had charges and interest coming out of the account so never noticed the fees being taken out (Always thought it was charges etc - never really looked at it that hard!)

I am looking at trying to claim these fees back as never used any of the benefits with the account (Did not know there were any until a few years ago when I had an account review - still did not tell me then I was paying a fee each month for them).

Hi, should you claim any bank charges back, in my case they paid it into my account thus clearing my overdraft.

This was in 2005/ 2006
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals