Beginner Stooger

Hello all,

I just wanted to run a plan past everyone here to make sure I'm doing this right. I currently have no debt other than the mortgage, and use a Barclaycard for about £2-300 spend a month, which is paid off in full.

I'm thinking of applying for a Virgin Card, and they are currently doing a cash into account deal of 1.69% fee then 0% for 32 months. My plan is to apply for this card (their pre-approver tester on the webpage said I would be approved for £15k), then transfer the £15k to my mortgage, to save 3.54% x £15 for the next 2 1/2 years.

Is this a sensible plan? Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Most apply a limit of the amount of cash you can transfer.
    Have you factored in the money transfer/balance fees?

Have you considered changing the mortgage to a cheaper rate?

What happens when you have to pay the capital back?
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,771
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When you say 'transfer the £15k to my mortgage' does that mean it's an offset mortgage and you can withdraw that £15k later?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,509
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    if it is an offset mortgage then that is exactly what I do. Make sure you set a DD to pay back the minimum payment each month and be sure of the date that the deal expires.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure