Music for 10 year olds?

Comments

• Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Oh and you say your daughter likes AC/DC, I don't think it takes much imagination to work out what most of their songs are about

I literally have no idea of what you are talking about. Isn't AC/DC to do with electricity?

Anyway, thanks for picking our choices apart. Let's leave it there shall we?
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Dont think ed sheerans x album is parental.

Youve been a bit fuzzy with what youre requesting. The proper music youre listening to probably doesnt have parental advisory labels because they didnt exist then. Theres a lot of songs that have incinuation, hell, sex and violence sells.

I would suggest going down the MP3 route, purely because you will be able to find radio edits of songs that should be less offensive.
  • Kaye1 wrote: »
    I literally have no idea of what you are talking about. Isn't AC/DC to do with electricity?

Anyway, thanks for picking our choices apart. Let's leave it there shall we?

Yes the band name came from electrical tag on the back of Malcolm and Angus's mums sewing machine, however I was referring to their song lyrics.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Kaye1
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Dont think ed sheerans x album is parental.

Youve been a bit fuzzy with what youre requesting. The proper music youre listening to probably doesnt have parental advisory labels because they didnt exist then. Theres a lot of songs that have incinuation, hell, sex and violence sells.

I would suggest going down the MP3 route, purely because you will be able to find radio edits of songs that should be less offensive.

Thanks for the Ed Sheeran suggestion, I'll have a look at that. She is specifically wanting stuff that is in the charts or relatively recent. I'm not totally sure why- I'm guessing that it is what the other girls are listening too.

She recently asked for Ella Henderson album, and I had never heard of her- but she seems to like it.

Thanks for the suggestion of 'radio edits'- of course, that never occurred to me. Now you have said it, it seems obvious!
  • You keep saying she wants some modern music, what type of music does she like? It's difficult to suggest much above the usual teeny pop if you don't want her exposed to music which has some sexual overtones however a step up from boy band pop would probably be 5 Seconds of Summer and although sort of a boy band they are more pop punk I took my daughter to see them earlier this year and even though she was starting to grow out of them, she enjoyed herself and so did I, maybe try a band called PVRIS, pronounced Paris, they fall into the alternative pop rock genre, we've seen them as well, no sexually explicit lyrics although a couple of songs do have mild swearing (the sh word) Paramore also worth checking out, the bands I'm suggesting are more in the rock, pop punk and alternative categories but nothing weird, but I'm thinking out of the box rather than the usual top 20 stuff.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Why don't you just buy some 'NOW' compilation albums?

My kids know what music they like from listening to the radio in the car. I've not tried to steer them to like the music I like.

Fun kids is a good station - http://www.funkidslive.com/listen/
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2016 at 9:33PM
    Kaye1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct place but any suggestions gratefully received!

My daughter has been raised on what I would call 'proper' music ;) but she is now asking for some more 'modern' cd's.

Bearing she is only 10, any suggestions for appropriate cd's please? Lots of them don't have swearing but lots of lyrics about that are fairly sexually explicit. I have tried the 'Pop Princesses' range but they are pretty poor listening.

So far, I think that Taylor Swift is ok. I'd like to buy her a small stack of modern cd's, say 4-5 for her to listen to. I think Coldplay is ok and perhaps Sia? She doesn't really have any genre preferences, so I would appreciate any suggestions please.

Ask her what she likes, maybe?
    Let her buy her own music?
    It;s a bad idea to try to control her musical tastes.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Guilty of being patronising...at least you bite!

Further to my innocent music taste at 10...at the age of 11, I was into The Damned, The Buzzcocks, The Ramones and other great music!

My Mother would have loved me to be the next Deanna Durbin, not my bag!

Your daughter will pick up hideous language at school. I think music should be the least of your worries.

Oh and I used to listen to My Ding a Ling on Junior Choice. I now know it's not about bells! Think back to the songs you listened to as a child..they're not all so innocent! x
  • Kaye1
    Goodness me.

Here is a simple summary:

Daughter went to friends house, listened to music which embarrassed her as it was too grown up. We talked about it, all was ok.

She asked for some 'new' music. Of course I asked her what she wanted. She chose Mark Ronson and Ella Henderson. In HMV, turned out that Mark Ronson had parental advisory sticker on it. She gave it back, because she doesn't like swearing. (Yes, I know she hears it all the time but she still doesn't like it- that comes from her)

We walked over to the chart area and I hadn't heard of half of the people there. I would have liked to have been able to suggest a few that I knew were suitable for her to choose from. I couldn't. I asked quite a few friends what they thought. Taylor Swift cropped up a lot.

She's 10. She doesn't want sexualised stuff. That comes from her. She likes the Bugsy Malone soundtrack. But she also wants 'modern' stuff. To keep up with her friends, I suppose.

Am I controlling her music tastes? No. Am I trying to guide her? Yes. Will she be listening to whatever she likes when she is 14- of course.

It's kind of sad that people are jumping all over me to accuse me of being too controlling. I didn't know the information I needed, so I asked around. Then I thought this would be a great place for suggestions from people who had actually heard the albums.

It is still my job to guide and help her at 10 years of age, and I stand by that. 14 years old- I probably won't have a chance to offer my opinion!

Thanks to the person who suggested the kids radio, really appreciated, I'll have a look at that.
  • Please don't be offended. Your original post did come across as a bit controlling.

Nothing wrong with Bugsy Malone! You say your daughter likes AC/DC...not my thing, but if you have a look...they're really not innocent!

Good luck anyway...not being patronising this time! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport