Music for 10 year olds?

Not sure if this is the correct place but any suggestions gratefully received!

My daughter has been raised on what I would call 'proper' music ;) but she is now asking for some more 'modern' cd's.

Bearing she is only 10, any suggestions for appropriate cd's please? Lots of them don't have swearing but lots of lyrics about that are fairly sexually explicit. I have tried the 'Pop Princesses' range but they are pretty poor listening.

So far, I think that Taylor Swift is ok. I'd like to buy her a small stack of modern cd's, say 4-5 for her to listen to. I think Coldplay is ok and perhaps Sia? She doesn't really have any genre preferences, so I would appreciate any suggestions please.

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I have a 10 year old and she has an mp3's rather than cd's. That way she can have individual songs rather than a whole album where she only likes a few of the tracks.

As for what songs, it depends on her tastes. Some like 1 direction or Justin Beiber, where as my daughter fortunately hates them.

Let her watch the chart show on CBBC with her to get an idea of what she likes and what she doesn't.
    Zebras rock
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not look for instrumental dance or pop, which won't have any lyrics at all?
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Kaye1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct place but any suggestions gratefully received!

My daughter has been raised on what I would call 'proper' music ;) but she is now asking for some more 'modern' cd's.

Bearing she is only 10, any suggestions for appropriate cd's please? Lots of them don't have swearing but lots of lyrics about that are fairly sexually explicit. I have tried the 'Pop Princesses' range but they are pretty poor listening.

So far, I think that Taylor Swift is ok. I'd like to buy her a small stack of modern cd's, say 4-5 for her to listen to. I think Coldplay is ok and perhaps Sia? She doesn't really have any genre preferences, so I would appreciate any suggestions please.

I was raised listening to 'proper music'. Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm guessing Classical?

Let her choose for herself! I would hate anyone to be forced to listen to Taylor Ruddy Swift, Coldplay or Sia! Are you taking the mickey? Do you know anything about music?

If you really have to force your choice of music onto the poor girl, try classical rock versions of modern music. Then maybe let her listen to the latest songs and choose for herself.

I was listening to Focus, Queen, Deep Purple, Showaddywaddy and classical at the age of 10. I also resented anybody telling me what I should listen to. Oh and I could read music and play quite a few musical instruments at that age.

I wish your daughter well.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    You've also reminded me...by the age of 10 I'd watched Jesus Christ Superstar, Fiddler on the Roof, Carousel, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Anna and the King... et cetera et cetera (in joke).

Let your daughter be an individual. If you're lucky, she'll hate the 'modern' music of today! x

• Let your daughter be an individual. If you're lucky, she'll hate the 'modern' music of today! x

Pretty much agree, My daughter is now coming up to 14 and she grew out of the generic pop stuff her friends and peers are still in to when she was 12, at the age of 10 she had discovered for herself bands like Nirvana and Green Day and would choose Radiohead over Coldplay (a Hannah Montana scene) Most of what she listens to doesn't get in to the pop charts and all the posters on her bedroom wall come out of Kerrang. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the lyrical content, some of the stuff my daughter listens to would make the Sex Pistols seem tame, yet unlike some of her friends who listen to generic pop music, she doesn't swear, talk inappropriately, get in to trouble, she works hard at school and knows right from wrong.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    I was raised listening to 'proper music'. Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm guessing Classical?

Let her choose for herself! I would hate anyone to be forced to listen to Taylor Ruddy Swift, Coldplay or Sia! Are you taking the mickey? Do you know anything about music?

If you really have to force your choice of music onto the poor girl, try classical rock versions of modern music. Then maybe let her listen to the latest songs and choose for herself.

I was listening to Focus, Queen, Deep Purple, Showaddywaddy and classical at the age of 10. I also resented anybody telling me what I should listen to. Oh and I could read music and play quite a few musical instruments at that age.

I wish your daughter well.

Oh don't be so patronising. She is totally awesome and doesn't need your pity. Her and her friends were listening to music at another girls house and the song was talking about you being 'deep inside me' and other such things. She came home and asked me about it. She was a bit bothered by it and quite embarrassed. We chatted about it and all was fine.

This isn't about me being overbearing, it is about a 10 year old wanting to listen to more modern music but needing a little guidance. If Taylor Swift is a no-go, then fine, thanks for the help.

She can read music and play an instrument. Queen are her favourite band and she likes AC/DC. However, when you were young, I guess that you didn't have Rhianna and Nicki Manaji (sp?!) singing sexually explicit lyrics- and if you have never heard them, they really are totally inappropriate for a 10 year old. I doubt Shawaddywaddy had sexually explicit lyrics and videos. She has specifically asked for some modern music- so we went to HMV together and quite a few had the parental advisory sticker on, so we had to put them back. She also asked for the Mark Ronson album but that also had the parental advisor sticker on. She just didn't want it if it had swearing in. We ended up downloading the individual songs she liked and had heard on the radio rather than the whole album, which was a good compromise.

She has asked for modern music, I don't know anything about it, so am asking for any helpful advice about music, rather than unkind comments about my parenting.
  • interstellaflyer
    interstellaflyer Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 November 2016 at 2:01PM
    Kaye1 wrote: »

However, when you were young, I guess that you didn't have Rhianna and Nicki Manaji (sp?!) singing sexually explicit lyrics- and if you have never heard them, they really are totally inappropriate for a 10 year old. I doubt Shawaddywaddy had sexually explicit lyrics and videos.

I think you need to look back at music in the 60s, 70s and 80s, Queen sang about a boy having his first sexual experiences with big fat Fanny a very naughty nanny (Fat Bottomed Girls) The Who sang about Daddy playing all night with Mummy's squeeze box, Donna Summer had a hit single which was basically her having an orgasm (Love to Love you Baby) Chuck Berry wanted you to play with his ding a ling and Frankie got banned from the radio for allegedly singing about male orgasm and that's just listing the more obvious songs.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Oh and you say your daughter likes AC/DC, I don't think it takes much imagination to work out what most of their songs are about
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Can we keep this on topic please ladies and gents.

The OP has asked advice for appropriate music for a ten year old.

Lets not get personal.

Have a good day everyone and OP I would suggest speaking to some mums at school maybe and seeing what their kids are listening to? I do understand though that a lot of modern songs can have inappropriate lyrics whereas years ago they were less obvious and only become inappropriate as we got older and realised what they meant i.e. Lucy in the sky with diamonds.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Pretty much agree, My daughter is now coming up to 14 and she grew out of the generic pop stuff her friends and peers are still in to when she was 12, at the age of 10 she had discovered for herself bands like Nirvana and Green Day and would choose Radiohead over Coldplay (a Hannah Montana scene) Most of what she listens to doesn't get in to the pop charts and all the posters on her bedroom wall come out of Kerrang. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the lyrical content, some of the stuff my daughter listens to would make the Sex Pistols seem tame, yet unlike some of her friends who listen to generic pop music, she doesn't swear, talk inappropriately, get in to trouble, she works hard at school and knows right from wrong.

Yes, I think it will eventually happen, but at the moment it isn't what she wants. We've see Radiohead in concert a few times (her parents, not our daughter) so she has certainly has had access to the music. She just says it is 'too weird!'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure