My cats eye has a white glaze over it

Options
Recently I have noticed my cats right eye has a white glaze over it. I dont think it is causing him any pain as he is acting normal but it is affecting his eye sight as he keeps walking into doors and walls.

does anyone have any advice on what to do? I bathed his eye with some warm water and kitchen towel but its still quite bad. :confused:
:hello:

Comments

• wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    is it over the whole of the eyeball or just the pupil (centre black part) if just the pupil and it's an old cat its probably a cataract, not sure if vets will remove it but if not he will adapt to the vision eventually and it shouldn't cause any discomfort. (I'm an optician so more used to dealing with human eyes!) could you post a pic? if you're worried its worth getting it checked by a vet.
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• xLolahx
    Options
    Thanks for your advice and its the whole of his eye. I will be taking him to the vet soon and I'll try and get a pic sorted out.
  • wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    if whole eye then not a cataract, he may have been scratched by another cat, causing a corneal opacity (cloudy cornea), treatable but risky in humans - for a cat they would probably leave it alone.

hard to diagnose without seeing it, but if he isn't in pain/discomfort (washing his eye all the time etc) then he will probably adjust to his new vision after a while.

i love cats and hate to see them hurt but they are very resilient animals! i'm sure he'll be ok :)
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,
    Its not his third eyelid is it ([FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]nictitating membrane)[/SIZE][/FONT]?
    Sometimes when cats have respiratory infections or viruses it will close over. Or is it a more generalised opacity?

This is the 3rd eyelid

exam2.jpg

Either way I think the vet is your best bet. Hope your boy is better soon :)
  • xLolahx
    xLolahx Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I took my cat to the vets today and the vet said it's too late to do anything to his eye but he isn't in any pain so thats a releif! I have to take him back next week because they think it could have been caused by high blood pressure. If he has got high blood pressure then he will have to be on some blood pressure tablets so that his other eye doesn't get bad.

Thanks for everyones advice!! :beer:
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad that he isn't in any pain, we had a cat with only one eye and he was fabulous and coped really well :)
  • Squirrel29
    Options
    My cat is 13 and she has had a cloudy eye since she was about 4. I took her to the vet when it first appeared and they said she could have scratched her eye on a branch. They were reluctant to treat it and said it would not cause her pain. She had adapted and hasn't seemed to be in any pain at all.
    Second and final LBM 01/01/11 Nearly got there but fell of wagon. HAVE to do it this time :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure