IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC Parking Charge - how to tackle?

Options
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me out with a PCN from a few years back! After a series of letters in response to threads, they legal company dropped off the face of the earth and I haven't heard from them since :)

Unfortunately I'm back here once again having returned to my car the other night to discover a PC stuck to my windscreen :/

So... I went to the cinema the other night to watch Doctor Strange, and behind the cinema is a bunch of small industrial units where I always park.

I have been parking in these units behind the cinema for 10+ years, and have never received a ticket or anything. I only go to this particular cinema in the evening - when all the businesses are shut - and thus it seemed to me that parking here after business hours is A-okay... furthermore, based on how busy the car park gets during the evening, I assumed everyone else does the same.

Anyway, the parking ticket was issued at 20:59 on Saturday night (05/11) with the reason stated as "parked in a permit area without displaying valid permit", and the particular unit I was parked in belongs to Crossfit Cambridgeshire. Apparently I have to pay £100 if not paid in 14 days, and if within 14 days - £80... what a discount.

I've read the newbie sticky, but... I still wanna discuss the issue with you guys here and hone in on a specific course of action.

Additional notes:

The unit I parked in was pitch-fukin-black... not a drop of light illuminating anything (probably cos Crossfit is well and truly closed by that time on Saturday night)... is there maybe grounds to challenge the PCN on their signage not being clearly visible?

I don't do Crossfit, but... is it perhaps worth visiting Crossfit and asking them politely to help me out? I honest to God NEVER park in these areas during the day, cos I'm well aware they're operating businesses and my parking there would impede this.
I was thinking that if I go to them and show them the PC and my receipt for the cinema, and just appeal to them on the grounds of human decency, they might help me out?
I actually checked the Crossfit opening hours, and mon to thurs they are open until 9pm, Friday until 8pm, and Saturday until 1pm! So here's me with a ticket given in their unit at 20:59 on a Saturday night...
I figure if i'm friendly and polite about it, there's a good chance they'll sympathize with the situation and help me to get it cancelled?

What do ya all reckon?

Anyway, I would appreciate any and all advice on my situation, and in particular how I should go about approaching all of this.

Thank you all you kindly.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 November 2016 at 10:50AM
    Options
    they only want your money and nobody will be interested in your "story" and it is unlikely that the landowner will cancel but try it anyway

so all you do is use the BPA blue text template from the NEWBIES sticky thread , around day 25 due to it being a windscreen ticket (do not imply or mention who was actually driving)

then you take it to popla if they dont cancel it , where poor signage will be one of many appeal points

as an aside, the discount you mention breaks the BPA CoP which is the "bribe" rate to try to stop people appealing
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    Options
    Always try a landowner complaint. Promise never to trespass on their land, against their wishes ever again. The worst they can say is 'No'.

In the context of your PCN 'Trespass' could well be the key, but signage is important. Go and take timestamped photos now.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Socks0rs
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far guys!
    Always try a landowner complaint. Promise never to trespass on their land, against their wishes ever again. The worst they can say is 'No'.

Just to clarify, when you say landowner, I'm not sure if you mean Crossfit or not? I'm assuming Crossfit rent the unit...
    In the context of your PCN 'Trespass' could well be the key, but signage is important. Go and take timestamped photos now.

Elaborate on this please. Time stamped photos of the signage? Well that would be 9pm in the evening and they'd be nothing to see unless I took photos with a camera flash?
  • Socks0rs
    Options
    so all you do is use the BPA blue text template from the NEWBIES sticky thread , around day 25 due to it being a windscreen ticket (do not imply or mention who was actually driving)

So by my count I should submit the online appeal on November 30th?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,509 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2016 at 11:47AM
    Options
    It may be Crossfit, it may be a managing agent. You need to find out. Start with Crossfit and ask if they've contracted with UKPC. If not, ask who they lease/rent the premises from.

'Trespass' can only be prosecuted by the landowner. If there are 'forbidding' signs there can be no offer to park, therefore 'trespass' can be the only contravention. Do some forum searches here on 'forbidding signs'. Also read this:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/bargepole-spanks-ukpc-in-court-no.html

Timestamped photos are needed to examine what the signage actually says. 'Timestamped' to prove date and time of capture. The PPC has 6 years to pursue this to court. It's no good going to take photos at a later date, as these can easily change, or be removed.

You also need to take a photo of the signs without flash to prove how unnoticeable or unreadable they were. Yes, I know if it's pitch black...... but you should try to get some element of light to achieve a usable photo (but don't use flash, for obvious reasons).

Signage is all-important as this is the 'contractual agreement' the PPC will be arguing the driver entered into with them - they have nothing else to go on.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2016 at 11:57AM
    Options
    If you are not able to time stamp your photos, you can put a current newspaper next to one of the signs making sure the date and banner headline can be seen.
    There are probably ways to timestamp images and documents on a computer, but I'm not sure exactly how. Possible the date a word document was created with the photos embedded in it, and then never edited.

UKPC were actually caught doctoring time stamps on their photo' "evidence" last year, so any images they produce should be challenged for truth.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The discount offered is less than the BPA AoS demands of their members and is a POPLA winner on its own.

"19.7 If prompt payment is made (defined as 14 days from
    the issue of the parking charge notice) you must offer
    a reduced payment to reflect your reduced costs in
    collecting the charge. This reduction in cost should be by at
    least 40% of the full charge."
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    unless the OP has made a typo and meant £60
  • Socks0rs
    Options
    unless the OP has made a typo and meant £60

This.

Well... not a typo as such but the figure on the ticket isn't clearly printed and looks like £80 at first glance, but having examined it more closely I think it might be £60.
  • Socks0rs
    Options
    UPDATE:

So... I did what Redx suggested, along with taking a photo of the poorly lit (read: NOT LIT AT ALL) signage.

And i've just recently been emailed this.
    Thank you for your recent correspondence in relation to the above Parking Charge.
    We have investigated your appeal based on the information you have submitted and confirm that this Parking
    Charge was correctly issued because there are sufficient signs at Crossfit Cambridgeshire warning drivers that
    should they park their vehicle without displaying a valid permit this will result in a Parking Charge being issued to
    the vehicle.
    Our Appeals process is now concluded, you may now pick one of the following options:
    1. Pay the parking charge detailed above at the reduced rate of £60.00 to UK Parking Control Ltd. PLEASE REFER
    OVERLEAF FOR PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ADDRESS DETAILS.
    2. Make an appeal to POPLA – Submit an appeal online at https://www.popla.co.uk within 28 days of the date of this letter
    using the verification code above. “Alternatively if you do not have internet access, you can send a letter to POPLA,
    PO Box 1270, Warrington, WA4 9RL within 28 days of the date of this letter using the verification code above.” Please
    note that if you wish to appeal to POPLA, you will lose the right to pay the charge at the discounted rate of £60.00,
    and should POPLA’s decision not go in your favour you will be required to pay the full amount of £100.00. If you opt
    to pay the parking charge you will be unable to appeal to POPLA.
    By law we are also required to inform you that Ombudsman Services (https://www.ombudsman-services.org/) provides
    an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent to deal with your appeal. However, we have not
    chosen to participate in their alternative dispute resolution service. As such should you wish to appeal then you
    must do so to POPLA, as explained above.
    3. If you choose to do nothing the parking charge will automatically increase after 35 days from the date of this
    letter to £100.00 and the matter will be passed to our debt recovery agent, at which point you will be liable to pay
    an additional charge of £60, in accordance with our terms and conditions of parking, and further charges will be
    claimed if Court action is taken against you. Any unpaid Court Judgement may adversely affect your credit rating.
    PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER. UKPC REGULARLY TAKES MOTORISTS TO COURT WHO IGNORE
    THEIR PARKING

So... i'm posting just to get a consensus on where I go from here? I presume I go the POPLA route, and if so, how exactly should I go about it?

Give me your suggestions folks; the more details the better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure