NEW: Got questions about energy? Join our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here today from 12pm

Who’d you trust: Politicians, the papers or banks? Poll Discussion

Results: This poll ran between 18-25 Sept. Who’d you trust: Politicians, the papers or banks?

So this week we’ve had the Northern Rock crisis, first the Chief said it was safe, the message was repeated in the newspapers, then the Chancellor joined in. Yet none had an impact until the Govt put money on the table… (more info in the do you trust your bank? and what should’ve happened on Friday) blogs.

So who do you trust the most out of the following (quite deliberately there's no, “none of ‘em” option)?

A. Banks 48% (1404 votes)
B. The Papers 39% (1149 votes)
C. Politicians 13% (384 votes)

This poll has now ended, but you can still click reply and have your say below.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Replies

• I trust the Banks most. They have only one motive, to grab as much money as possible no matter where from or by what means. Therefore it can be argued that to get money out of them, whether the means be legal or not, cannot be morally wrong.

Journos and politicians have many different motives, often conflicting and frequently hidden, so you can never be sure of their intentions. Indeed, it often seems that they themselves don't know what thy are trying to achieve. This makes them completely untrustworthy.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well, because you've deliberately left out the "none of them" button, you're probably going to get lots of people like me who won't vote, because I *don't* trust any of them. I haven't trusted politicians or banks for about 25 years, and I've also assessed newspapers in that way comparatively recently.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021..........
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • I agree with Karmacat: without a "none of the above" option, I find it almost impossible to vote, so I haven't.

On a scale from 0 to 10, where 0 is "Don't trust at all" and 10 is "Trust completely", I'd rate Papers and Politcians with a 0, and Banks with a 1 - which is by no means high enough for me to justify voting for them!

And Banks only get a 1 because you know where you are with them: they're going to screw you for everything they can.
  • While it pains me to say it (and only on the Northern Rock situation), I voted for politicians.

* The Bank obviously wants you to keep your money with them, so is biased.

* Papers (and TV news reporters) have been sensationalising this 'crisis', when actually its just a bank changing who they borrow money from (Bank of England rather than US Banks).

* Politicians want stability for the economy and don't want people to lose money (cos then THEY'll look bad). While they are trying to look good on camera, in this situation their best interest coincides with the public's best interest.

On any other subject, I'd probably go with the banks because (as other people have said) you know where you are with them.
  • Newspapers you can buy one that aligns roughly to your views! Banks I ignore unless it affects my savings. But politicians are a slimy conniving bunch of..........! They will tell you anything & then change their minds or hide when it suits!
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • I dont trust any of them, Polititions have their own agenda's and are very libral with the truth.
    Papers are often wrong, they make up stories.
    Banks I suppose are the most trustworthy in the group.
    :mad: George B
  • Including "The Papers" is ludicrous. I MIGHT trust The Times ..... but The Express? Or The Sun? Or The Star?!!!!!!
    As for the Politicians ... I've worked in Whitehall ... and I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one. They are ALL capable of bending the truth within an inch of it becoming a lie.
    So .... much as it grieves me ... I voted for the Banks. At least you know exactly where they're coming from (i.e. they're all money grabbing bar stewards) ... and they are subject to regulation. Just need your wits about you (and Martin growling in the background!).
    Mark
  • MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    Poll Started 18 Sept 07. Who’d you trust: Poliicians, the papers or banks?

So this week we’ve had the Northern Rock crisis, first the Chief said it was safe, the message was repeated in the newspapers, then the Chancellor joined in. Yet none had an impact until the Govt put money on the table… (more info in the do you trust your bank and what should’ve happened on Friday) blogs.

So who do you trust the most out of the following (quite deliberately there no, “none of ‘em” option)?

A. Banks
    B. The Papers
    C. Politicians

Vote or click reply to discuss below

You definitely needed a D: None of them
  • While it is no surprise to find politicians at the bottom of the heap [and I DO mean heap!] I am surprised that so much trust is put in banks following the recent campaign against overcharging for unauthorised overdrafts etc.

Simplest thing - put them all up against a wall and ...................
  • My vote went for the banks, but only because they can be held accountable for what they say.
    Newspapers can lie then if they get found out print a retraction and apology.
    Politicians make promises and offers, but then aren't held accountable when they don't meet them or go back on what they said.
    Banks however, like other people have said, you know what they want, and you can hold them to things they tell you.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are not professional advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals