Landlord Insurance Company refusing to renew Insuurance policy after Subsidence claim

Options
I recently put in a claim for a chimney which was tilting to one side and a separate claim for subsidence.

Both were declined.

Now the policy is up for renewal and the company are refusing to renew the policy.

The reason given is because there have been too many claims.
I believe there have been 4 claims in the last 3 years including 2 this year.

Just wanted to know where I stand on this and whether they have the right to do this.

I know some insurance companies are obliged to offer the same terms after a subsidence claim but do not know if this is a legal obligatipn.

It will be very expensive to go with a different company due to the subsidence claim.

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They are within their right to refuse you insurance or make it very expensive to do so.

See LL insurance like any other insurance, too many claims and your premiums go up and risk being barred from that company too for a set period.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    What was the reason the claims were declined?

The insurer is obliged to continue cover where there has been a successful subsidence claim, as long as the rest of the risk is still within UW criterion.

4 claims/losses suggests quite a poor risk in my opinion.

Also please note the obligation to continue cover is for ABI members. Is your insurer?
    Also, I'm not sure if this extends to commercial risks (landlords) anyway...
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My parents were declined cover because on 3 occasions within 18-months they phoned their insurers about different incidents. None of these incidents resulted in a claim but they were recorded as £0 value losses. Came to renewal and cover was declined.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure