Structural Enginer Advice on Size of RSJ

Options
Hope there is a Structural Enginer who could provide me with the size of a RSJ. We have a double garage currently fitted with 2no single garage doors. There is a central brick pillar which we want to remove so that we can fit a double garage door. 125mm x 50mm x 2200mm long woden lintols each rest on the central brick pillar. The plan is to leave the wooden lintols in place and install a new RSJ spanning the full width of the garage 4755m. The RSJ would be supported on the existing brick pillars on each side of the garage. The roof is traditional wood rafters with concrete interlocking tiles. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    get yourself a yellow pages - adapting the structure of an existing building needs someone to look at it and carryout the calculations in a paid capacity
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The_Shadow wrote: »
    Hope there is a Structural Enginer who could provide me with the size of a RSJ. We have a double garage currently fitted with 2no single garage doors. There is a central brick pillar which we want to remove so that we can fit a double garage door. 125mm x 50mm x 2200mm long woden lintols each rest on the central brick pillar. The plan is to leave the wooden lintols in place and install a new RSJ spanning the full width of the garage 4755m. The RSJ would be supported on the existing brick pillars on each side of the garage. The roof is traditional wood rafters with concrete interlocking tiles. Thanks for any advice
    Think you will need someone to do the calculations correctly and ensure your garage isn't going to collapse. This will cost you but it is best to do it properly and most likely they will need to come and have a look to ensure they give the correct advice.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sigh. Are you taking this seriously, OP?

Structural engineers have to calculate the load above that needs supporting. It could be nothing, it could be a block of flats. They also have professional indemnity insurance that covers any mistake.

It doesn't come for free. While people can offer general advice, noone here is going to commit to offering formal professional advice, for which they would normally get paid, on an online forum.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd also advise paying for a structural engineer. In my limited experience, they sometimes suggest novel solutions to problems that would not occur to most builders or customers.
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2016 at 6:22PM
    Options
    Just find one that’s 2ft thick that will cover you, With saving £50 -100 on not using a SE and put that towards having your wallet surgically removed ....
  • The_Shadow
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Sigh. Are you taking this seriously, OP?

Structural engineers have to calculate the load above that needs supporting. It could be nothing, it could be a block of flats. They also have professional indemnity insurance that covers any mistake.

It doesn't come for free. While people can offer general advice, noone here is going to commit to offering formal professional advice, for which they would normally get paid, on an online forum.

I am a professional Engineer and freely give advice. This a very simple load calculation to support a quarter of a tiled garage roof on a RSJ with a uniformaly distributed load. Th garage roof is alao supported on 3 other walls.
  • The_Shadow
    Options
    Just find one that’s 2ft thick that will cover you, With saving £50 -100 on not using a SE and put that towards having your wallet surgically removed ....

I like your reply
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am a professional Engineer and freely give advice.

More fool you
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am a professional Engineer and freely give advice. This a very simple load calculation to support a quarter of a tiled garage roof on a RSJ with a uniformaly distributed load. Th garage roof is alao supported on 3 other walls.

You take on professional liability for free? Can you give me your details?!
  • The_Shadow
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    You take on professional liability for free? Can you give me your details?!

Let me know if you want some free information on sizing drains and sewers without professional liability, using the free information given would be your choice as is my request for sizing a standard RSJ on a single storey garage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure