Sorting possessions after a break up

My mum and step dad separated in January.
They are still married but in the process of getting divorced.
My stepdad hasn't made a claim on any items in the house, my mum bought the majority of the items herself anyway.

My mum is worried my stepdad is going to wipe the floor with her and take everything on the divorce papers, Does my stepdad still have a right to claim anything from the property after moving out, laying no claim to items in the house after almost a year?

The property is privately rented and they were both on the tenancy, however as soon as my stepdad moved out the landlord had her sign a new tenancy in her name only.

Many thanks for any advice. :)
2013 - 86 | 2014 - 127 | 2015 - 39 | 2016 - 22 | 2017 - 10 | 2018 - 56 | 2019 - 16 | 2020 - 4 | 2021 - 5 | 2022 - 1 win

Comments

• Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is there to claim, as they were just renting?
    Specific items so we can have a better idea? (Ie jewellery from her parents, furniture etc).
    How long have they been married?
    I am affraid that all that has been purchased/gained while together is often split in half, unless your mother goes to court and fights.
    The fact he's been out of the house doesn't mean he cannot claim his assets. They need to divorce and settle.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2016 at 1:08PM
    It is mother and stepdad, I am sure op wants their Mum to come out as best as possible, especially as they said Mum bought most of the items.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure