Made redundant in May, and now they have re employed me on a temp contract? allowed?

Hello Everyone,

I was made redundant by the company I was working for in May, and then about three months later I received an e mail from my boss asking me if I would like to come back to EXACTLY the same position but on a two month temp contract as they were obviously falling behind on work, which I accepted, but is this allowed? Because they made me redundant because they no longer needed anyone in this position, but then asked me to come back, so they obviously did still need some one?

Would be grateful for any feeback, help or advice.

Thank you.

Replies

• edited 30 October 2016 at 3:48PM
    lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2016 at 3:48PM
    Your role ceased to exist. But your former employer needs someone to carry out your former tasks for 2 months to help them shift a backlog. They may be able to cope going forward. Or they may have been short-sighted and underestimated the need of your role. In any case you're out of time to make a claim to an Employment Tribunal.

Given that they offered you a temporary contract, if they decide your former role should not have been ceased, they may offer you old job back.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Agreed. I don't see any reason to see this as anything other than it is. And even if it is - there'd be nothing you could do about it because more than three months has passed.
  • OP You could always tell him to stick it because obviously you have had a better offer and don't need the work.............is that the case?

You should be able to do the job with your eyes shut so go for it and get some cash for christmas and you may never know they might want you back full time ....don't forget you get to keep the redundancy money.
  • Depending on your skill level I'd be asking for a higher rate of pay.
  • OzzukOzzuk Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    If you do this, as others have said, make sure you ask for a better deal than your basic rate previously. Unless you are desperate of course, the risk is they just don't bother - but equally they aren't likely to find someone else as qualified in that short a time. And your old salary would have had better benefits than those under a 2 month contract.
  • Peter999_2Peter999_2 Forumite
    809 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did you get any money for the redundancy?, HMRC don't tend to look kindly on this as you get the first £30,000 tax free.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Peter999 wrote: »
    Did you get any money for the redundancy?, HMRC don't tend to look kindly on this as you get the first £30,000 tax free.

Left in May. back in November. So about six months.

What evidence do you have for HMRC pursuing any company about something like that?
  • Left in May. back in November. So about six months.

What evidence do you have for HMRC pursuing any company about something like that?
    The answer to that would be none. Quite apart from it being something that happens quite often - in fact recreating the same job again because you made a mistake in the first place happens a lot too - making somebody redundant to re-employ them again six months later on a temporary contract is lousy strategy for a company - there is no financial benefit to either party!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum