Tax Credit Certificate?

Options
I've just received a dividend cheque and tax credit certificate from HL for some shares that I recently bought. It indicates Tax Paid of £12.13. Surely Tax Credits are now a thing of the past? None of my other dividend payments this year have given a tax credit figure, is HL just using an out-of-date letter template that has calculated this automatically or is there something more going on that I need to understand?

Comments

• taylornj
    taylornj Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    REIT's are treated differently from normal share dividends.

Two examples are British Land and Land Securities. To be sure you need to know what share / fund gave rise to the tax credit.

http://monevator.com/how-property-income-distributions-pids-are-taxed/

Non-tax payers can reclaim the tax paid, unlike normal share dividends. The tax is paid at 20% and higher rate tax payers need to pay and additional 20%.

Also note that REIT's should have been treated differently in previous tax years if filling out a self assessment.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, but this is a standard share - Inmarsat PLC. I've received the full Dividend and only been paid through HL because the shares were bought shortly before it became Ex-dividend. There is no reason to believe that I have actually received less than I should, it is just that they have added in the notional tax-credit at 10%.
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    are you using HL for certificated dealing?

i guess that's an out-of-date form letter. suggest you query it with HL.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    are you using HL for certificated dealing?

i guess that's an out-of-date form letter. suggest you query it with HL.

Yes, certificated purchase (I know, I know...I'm a dinosaur!) Only got the letter on Saturday morning, so will give HL a call tomorrow. Just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something obvious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure