Dubai?

We're looking at a couple of weeks touring Malaysia early next year and our favoured flight option is looking to be via Dubai with Emirates.

We just wondered if Dubai is worth a stop at all? We're not really into shopping and the beach so is there much worth seeing if we were looking to spend a couple of days?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Burj Khalifa is on my list https://tickets.atthetop.ae/atthetop/
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Old Dubai is a nice place to see, there are various souks, you can get an abra (small boat) across the creek, there's a museum where you can learn about the history of the UAE.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Waterpark?
    Desert safari?
    Some of the Friday brunches can be quite an experience.
  • Plenty to fill a couple of days. I love wandering around The Creek area, and the Gold Souk is worth a look. A good hotel for walking to The Creek is the Park Regis Kris Kin
    travelover
  • carolwat
    carolwat Posts: 757 Forumite
    We stayed for 3 nights before heading to Borneo and I can say we never set foot in a shop other than to buy food lol

We had an action packed time at a waterpark, desert safari and a dhow cruise, there was no time left for shopping which is fine by me as I hate it anyway.

What I will advise though is to look on Dubai Groupon as we saved a lot using it.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We'd rather spend more time in Malaysia even though we've been to Malaysia many times and the ME only once..

But each to their own.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Dubai is a bit like Marmite. There are people who love it, there are people who hate it, there are even people who have never been there who claim they don't like it!

Personally I love it. It's a great city with an exciting fusion of old and new. The new man made creations are jaw-dropping, you'll never see such a collection of amazing buildings anywhere in the world, the old town is as it was, a great place to walk around and soak up the history. The people are lovely and, as long as you're not breaking any laws, it's one of the safest places I've ever been.

The Emiratis are very civilised compared to other Arab nations, they don't seem to have the same attitude to women and treat westerners well. They're not stupid, they know they'll need an income when the oil runs out and are doing their best to protect their future by moving forward.

If you want a couple of days pure luxury, go for it, if you don't like it at least you can say it's because you've been and not dismissed it from your armchair ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not sure about the comment re the oil running out, the problem is they haven't got any which is why they are so reliant on all their neighbours and act as a conduit for financial and other services; their need to translate between the Arab and western world is a fundamental requirement of their position.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Not sure about the comment re the oil running out, the problem is they haven't got any which is why they are so reliant on all their neighbours and act as a conduit for financial and other services; their need to translate between the Arab and western world is a fundamental requirement of their position.

Erm, yes they do, and it's running out. They have about 15 years left
    1966: Oil is first discovered in Dubai at the offshore Fateh field
    1969: Dubai starts to export of oil. The first export shipment of oil produced from the field Fateh was around 180 thousand barrels
    1972: Oil drilling exploration wells begin operations in the field at Falah. Producation begins June 1978
    1973: A new oil field is discovered at Rashid and production begins in March 1979
    1982: Another oil field was discovered at Margham, production started in 1984.
    1999: Dubai government owned Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC) opens the first oil refinery of the company and follows a fully owned subsidiary. The refinery, which costs around Dh1.5 billion and produces 120 thousand barrels per day.
    2000: Dubai joins the Dolphin project, signing a memorandum of understanding to provide the Dubai Supply Authority with Qatari gas through the project (Dolphin)
    2007: Dubai Petroleum assumes control of all oil and gas related projects in Dubai, following negotiations with international oil companies.
    Dubai has approximately 4 billion barrels of oil in reserve and holds the second place in terms of oil reserves in the UAE. Dubai Petroleum Co (DPC) is the main operator in the emirate. Dubai’s oil production peaked in 1991 at 410,000 b/d and has been steadily declining ever since.
    Dubai’s oil reserves have reduced over the past decade and are now expected to be exhausted within 20 years. The main fields are offshore: Fateh, Southwest Fateh and two smaller fields, Falah and Rashid. The only onshore deposit is the Margham field. Dubai Petroleum Company (DPC) is the main operator.
    The production of condensate from the onshore Margham field is running at around 25,000 b/d. Margham, previously operated by Arco International Oil and Gas Company, is now run by the Dubai Margham Establishment, which is wholly owned by the Government of Dubai.
    The government of Dubai owns the National Oil Company (ENOC), and this company handles the oil operations in Dubai, The Emirates Petroleum Products (EPCO) is associated with the ENOC, which distributes petroleum products to more than 125 distribution stations in Dubai and Northern Emirates.

http://gulfnews.com/business/oil-in-dubai-history-timeline-1.578333
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure