Help!!

Hi I'm hoping you can help me...so I got a car insurance renewal letter from the AA. The quote was rubbish so I took out insurance with another company and rang the AA to cancel the renewal insurance.
Then today I got amy email from Hastings thanking me for renewing my car insurance. Not paying attention to the names of the insurers and only focusing on the renewal, I rang them and said I had already cancelled this insurance and taken other out elsewhere. They agreed to return my money to my account since I was still in the 14day cooling off period.
It was then that I realised that I had called the AA to cancel my insurance so I must have had 2 insurance policies at the same time during the period Oct 2015-Oct 2016. I was completely unaware of this.
I asked both Hastings and the AA how long I had insurance with them, Hastings said 1 year and the AA said 2 years, last year's policy was an automatic renewal. I know I will have received the renewal quote and again it will have been much higher than other insurers so thats why I took out the Hastings policy, but knowing how I deal with affairs, I can't imagine that I didn't call them to cancel the renewal.
I explained the situation to the AA and they have asked for the insurance certificate from Hastings for the period Oct 2015-2016 but have not said what they may do.
What can I do about this? Is it something I just have to accept has happened and to learn from my mistake??
I'd appreciate any advice,
Thankyou

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did you not notice the amount debited from your card last year was large?

Perhaps set reminders in your phone and ensure you check your bank statements

Never auto renew insurance, more expensive
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Were you insured by either the AA or Hasting for the period 2014 to 2015?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    csgohan4 wrote: »

Perhaps set reminders in your phone and ensure you check your bank statements

Or use a calender or a note on the fridge and freezer eg "car insurance due on x date, look for quotes a month before".

Use more than method.
  • I was insured by the AA during the period Oct 2014-Oct 2015
  • dacouch
    What you need to do is send a polite letter to the AA, explaining you have spotted that your policy with them did not lapse last year. That you rearranged insurance with Hastings and ask them to refund the premium.

Enclose a photocopy of the Certificate of Insurance from Hastings showing your were insured concurrently with Hastings and they were not at risk of paying any claims.

Your situation is not that unusual, they will be used to dealing with it, as long as you enclose proof of your alternative Insurance they should process it without any problems.

If they make any deductions for Admin fees etc, post back here and we can probably guide you how to get these refunded.
  • Thankyou for the advice! I'll give it a try
  • dacouch
    Farrah1234 wrote: »
    Thankyou for the advice! I'll give it a try

Please update this thread if this works (It should) so anyone else in a similar situation in the future who googles it finds your thread and result
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure