New Post Advanced Search

BROWN food colouring

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
8 replies 5K views
FranDanFranDan Forumite
621 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I am about to attempt to sculpt a 'Beaver' out of marzipan to go ontop of a cake for a scout leader's Birthday.

It needs to be brown in colour - hopefully two tone - and was wondering which would be the best way to create it. You can't seem to buy brown colouring, so I was wondering if I should attempt to mix my own using yellow, red and blue colourings or to melt down cofffe granules?? I think the marzipan I've got is a very pale yellow... haven't checked.

What would you good people advise??
"When I'm good I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better."- Mae West :D

Replies

• catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could mix the food colourings you have but have you thought of trying cocoa powder - would taste yummy (choc marzipan) try on a small piece first.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cocoa powder , chocolate or milk shake liquid in chocolate flavour:confused:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • FranDanFranDan Forumite
    621 posts
    I hadn't thought of coco powder!!:doh: Will go and have a play now and see if I can get it to blend in. Had been aprehensive about adding any liquid to it incause it went stoggy and sticky.

Will report back;)

Thanks.
  • ChippsChipps Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Agree cocoa powder is best for nice rich brown, although you did say you wanted 2 shades of brown. Just a suggestion (as I've not tried this) but what about drinking chocolate powder for a different shade?
    621 posts
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. On opening the fridge to retrieve the marsipan it appeared to have changed into fondent icing!!:rolleyes: None the less I warmed it and added drinking choc (had run out of coco pwdr) varying the amount for two different shades.

It's worked a treat!! My beaver looks great:p ...

Now I've just got to work out how to get writing onto the fondent icing without it running.....:o

Thanks again.... knew you wouldn't let me down!!
  • MadoMado Forumite
    21.8K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't suppose you could take a picture and post it? I want to see it! :T
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see it too :j
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    621 posts
    aahhh, shucks i'd be too embarassed:o - you may all thinks it's [email="cr@p"]c[email protected][/email] LOL!