New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

BROWN food colouring

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
8 replies 5K views
FranDanFranDan Forumite
621 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I am about to attempt to sculpt a 'Beaver' out of marzipan to go ontop of a cake for a scout leader's Birthday.

It needs to be brown in colour - hopefully two tone - and was wondering which would be the best way to create it. You can't seem to buy brown colouring, so I was wondering if I should attempt to mix my own using yellow, red and blue colourings or to melt down cofffe granules?? I think the marzipan I've got is a very pale yellow... haven't checked.

What would you good people advise??
"When I'm good I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better."- Mae West :D

Replies

• catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could mix the food colourings you have but have you thought of trying cocoa powder - would taste yummy (choc marzipan) try on a small piece first.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cocoa powder , chocolate or milk shake liquid in chocolate flavour:confused:
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • FranDanFranDan Forumite
    621 posts
    I hadn't thought of coco powder!!:doh: Will go and have a play now and see if I can get it to blend in. Had been aprehensive about adding any liquid to it incause it went stoggy and sticky.

Will report back;)

Thanks.
  • ChippsChipps Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Agree cocoa powder is best for nice rich brown, although you did say you wanted 2 shades of brown. Just a suggestion (as I've not tried this) but what about drinking chocolate powder for a different shade?
    621 posts
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. On opening the fridge to retrieve the marsipan it appeared to have changed into fondent icing!!:rolleyes: None the less I warmed it and added drinking choc (had run out of coco pwdr) varying the amount for two different shades.

It's worked a treat!! My beaver looks great:p ...

Now I've just got to work out how to get writing onto the fondent icing without it running.....:o

Thanks again.... knew you wouldn't let me down!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • MadoMado Forumite
    21.8K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't suppose you could take a picture and post it? I want to see it! :T
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see it too :j
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    621 posts
    aahhh, shucks i'd be too embarassed:o - you may all thinks it's [email="cr@p"][email protected][/email] LOL!