How stupid are the Child Maintenance Team?

I started a new job on 5th September so I called the CM team in mid September to inform them of my new income details. They said 'Please call us at the end of the month with your new payslip details'

So on the 30th I called them to give them my details & informed them it was a part month payslip as I didnt start until the 5th, they said 'ok I'll note that down'.

I put my figures into the online calculator as I like to budget going forward & it showed I should be paying £35.00 per week as opposed to the £42.00 they calculated. I gave them another call to discuss. After going round the houses they said it was because I have my son for the 2nd banding (52-103 nights a year). I said that doesn't seem right, let me check & call you back.

I have my son:
3 nights every 2 weeks which equates to 1.5 nights a week so 1.5*52= 78
4 extra nights for 2 of the 3 half terms = 8
6 extra nights for Christmas holidays = 6
4 extra nights for 3 weeks of the summer = 12
4 extra nights at Easter = 4
Total 108 nights a year

I called back & gave them the figures & they said 'No, you cant say you have your son for 78 nights a year as it works out at 1.5 nights a week which we round down to 1 night a week so your base figure is 52 nights not 78'

How on earth can this be right? Dont get me wrong I don't mind, & I never have, providing financial support for my child but seriously they cant see that I should belong in the next banding up?

Oh & just to top it off, my ex wife pays for our daughter who lives with me (she is the mother of the son I have referred to above) & is on the new CM system & is on the band 104-156 nights a year!! The children spent every night at weekends & every night throughout holidays together!! :rotfl:
Dwy galon, un dyhead,
Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
Dau enaid ond un taith.

Comments

• Oakdene wrote: »
    I called back & gave them the figures & they said 'No, you cant say you have your son for 78 nights a year as it works out at 1.5 nights a week which we round down to 1 night a week so your base figure is 52 nights not 78'

How on earth can this be right?

It isn't right. Just another case of computer says no.

Walliams1.jpg
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    For crying out loud, should bang your heads together.

You have two children, each caring for one of them. Just end the claim and be done with it!
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    For crying out loud, should bang your heads together.

You have two children, each caring for one of them. Just end the claim and be done with it!

I did suggest this but my ex partner wouldn't have any of it sadly.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Oakdene wrote: »
    I did suggest this but my ex partner wouldn't have any of it sadly.
    I don't understand it, so you give her £42 a week and she hands you back the same amount?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I don't understand it, so you give her £42 a week and she hands you back the same amount?

Presumably they don't have the same wages, so the amounts are likely to be slightly different.
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No I earn slightly more, though the amount she pays me changes every month, despite the fact she is salaried...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,841
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why on earth would you bother paying each other for a child each? Just try and have a conversation with her and tell her its a pointless exercise.
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Loz01 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you bother paying each other for a child each? Just try and have a conversation with her and tell her its a pointless exercise.

I have tried saying this since our daughter came to live with me but it is a pointless task, I might as well bang my head on a brick wall!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 898
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well then its not just the Child Maintenance Team who are stupid is it?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So redo the calculations and change:

3 nights every 2 weeks which equates to 1.5 nights a week so 1.5*52= 78

For

1 night every two weeks = 26
    2 nights every two weeks =52

Computer now understands!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors