How to pay divorce costs?

My divorce has gone through and the courts have decided that I should pay the divorce costs but they have currently been paid by my ex-wife. I'm happy to reimburse her for the cost but I want to do it in a way that I have my back covered in case she says in future that I haven't paid the cost.

I will of course do an online bank transfer, but how can I get proof that the transfer amount is for the divorce costs? I don't want to get a solicitor involved so I was wondering, could I write my own note saying what the cost is for and then both of us sign and date it? Would this be enough or will it require an independent person to witness and sign it as well?

TIA

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    You're over thinking it. It's done on the balance of probabilities, simply text her and/or follow up with an email to say you have transferred £x in relation to the divorce costs.

You don't need her agreement.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just use the reference field on the transfer to write "solicitors costs".
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do a bank transfer with the amount and use the refernece "Divorce Costs". Follow up with an email saying "I've trasnfered £xx to you in relation to the divorce costs as ordered on [date of order] - could you confirm that you've recieved them?"

IOf she were to dispute it later you can prove the transfer using your bank statemetns, the amount will match the amount ordered and the e-mail is further proof.

Alternatively give her a chque and ask her to sign a receipt.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Wikivorce is often cited on here as a good source of information.

(Often by someone who left her first husband for this current one, lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure