Council Tax rebounding

Hi all, followed Martin's advice and found everyone around us is Band C; we are Band D. Did the Nationwide price check and we fall slap bang in the middle of the Band C range. Applied to the valuation office and they replied, within 2 days, with an "invalidity notice" - "you are out of time to make a valid appeal". It does state I have 4 weeks to appeal this - where do I begin? We have lived here for 2years but is that it - beaten at the first hurdle or, surely, many applicants are in the same position and have appealed successfully?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    positiveR wrote: »
    We have lived here for 2years but is that it - beaten at the first hurdle ?
    Afraid so. You can't appeal the time limit eighteen months after reaching it.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,637 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Accept that the appeal is invalid but ask VOA to review band. Be aware that NW price index is inaccurate and too general to be reliable as definitive evidence.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • But it seems they wont look at the band- the letter states that I have 4 weeks to appeal the decision (but the decision is based on the time limit). It then says "Where we are unable to resolve the disagreement about validity between us, (I) will send the necessary details to the local Valuation Tribunal who will deciide the matter. The Tribunal will advise you of the date of the hearing which will be to deal specifically with the validity of the proposal and not the correctness of the council tax band."

So this reads to me that I have to appeal that I'm not out of time, which I am. So how should I appeal my band?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure