Options
2»

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 25 October 2016 at 7:17PM
    Options
    It is highly unlikely that your card has been cloned and even more unlikely that multiple cards could have been cloned. This would mean that every time you get a new card somebody must intercept/get their hands on it and clone it. This is highly improbable. Besides which, why would anybody go to all that trouble and then use the cloned cards for such small transactions such as 35p. You say with the one exception all transactions have been for under £1.
    You say that HSBC can't tell you if transactions were online or in a shop. This is again very odd as they will know if the transaction was chop/pin or cardholder not present.
  • hackedoff0101
    Options
    I just checked with my mum and she said that she was told her card was 'cloned' too (same thing happened with her, they tried to take a couple of really small amounts). I am currently in the process of going through all of my online transactions, planning to email all of the non-Paypal retailers and tell them that their security might be compromised and they might want to double check with their other customers. I can't believe that I'm being left to play detective, they don't care where it happened. Do you think I should inform the police or will they not want to know?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 26 October 2016 at 8:39PM
    Options
    Now you say your Mum's card was cloned too.
    The improbability of this is increasing all the time ....
    Have the neighbours cards been cloned as well?
    I will also repeat what has already been said - use of a card with an online retailer cannot result in the card being cloned.
    If you suspect an online retailer is responsible for this, then perhaps see if your Mum has made purchases from the same retailer as you, although quite how this has happened with at least 4 of your cards and your Mum's card as well is really beyond me.
  • hackedoff0101
    hackedoff0101 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2016 at 10:21PM
    Options
    I think you misunderstood me. If you look back I already said in an earlier post that my mum's HSBC card had also been cloned in the past, and what i meant in the post you responded to, was that I had just spoken with her, and she confirmed that the terminology they used with her at the time was also "cloned" (in which I was replying to another user who asked whether the bank had actually used the term "cloning"). I wasn't saying that her card has just been cloned in recent days. So I don't really see why you felt the need to bring the neighbours into it with the snidey disbelieving tone.

I have made a complaint with HSBC after being rudely dismissed via their 'live chat', so hopefully i will get some sense out of them soon.
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing I've not seen answered, even though someone did ask....do the new cards HSBC are sending out have new card numbers? If they are just sending out a new card with the same card number there is nothing stopping the person committing the fraud using the details they already have online.

Make sure you get a new card with a totally new card number. For added peice of mind, change your PIN number. Not much else you can do after that other than change banks.....
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Move banks and if you dont already have 1 open a second account.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ...I can't believe that I'm being left to play detective, they don't care where it happened. Do you think I should inform the police or will they not want to know?

HSBC won't tell you details of how or where the fraud occurred, or what steps they are taking - for at least a few reasons...

- HSBC don't want to give you clues about ways credit card fraud can be committed

- HSBC (and the police) might be gathering more evidence. So they don't want you tipping off the fraudsters.

- In the initial stages of the investigation, they cannot be sure that you are not the fraudster. (Perhaps you really did buy something, and are now claiming you didn't.)

You have suffered no loss, so you have nothing to report to the police. Either HSBC or the merchants may have suffered a loss - so it's up to them to report it, if they choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure