Savings advice

Options
My daughter who is 19 years old has 1200 to put into a savings account. Im trying to find the best 1 for her. She currently banks with Santander but the savings account im.looking for needs to not neeed regular deposits as the lump sum she has is a 1 off nest egg.

I need somewhere that will gain best interest for her. Also need to gain access to it if she needs to withdrawl

Thank you
Christine

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A current account with Tesco might suit.

Or she might open a current Plus account with TSB, set for paperless, transfer £500 to Santander and back again each month to comply with the pay in conditions?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,645 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Highest interest rate is nationwide flex direct current account but it requires £1000 pay in every month although she can withdraw it straightaway so she could do transfer between Santander and nationwide on same day when she gets paid assuming she works. That pays 5% so over one year it would be £60 but the rate drops then

Alternatively Tesco current account pays 3% with no need to do a monthly transfer and it does not drop after one year but only £36 for a year assuming rate does not drop.

Both are instant access.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    look at Tesco's current accounts
    TSB is dropping its rates
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2016 at 8:57PM
    Options
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Open the 5% account with nationwide and once a month take £1000 out then put it back in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure