Compensating attorneys (as in power of attorney)

I am making a lasting power of attorney, appointing each and every one of my sons and daughters as attorneys. In case the LPA is ever used, I want to ensure that each one of them is suitably compensated for performing this duty. I want to enter this wish of mine in the section of must do for attorneys. Is this arrangement permissible. Any one of my attorneys would have to take time off from work, travel from overseas, etc) and I want to make sure they do not lose out in any way . I sure don't want any one to start an investigation, start meddling in and waste their time. Time is what none of them have. Of course none of this may happen and I could pass away in my sleep!
....Illegitimi non carborundum

...don't let the illegitimate ones grind you down....

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I deal with POA's at work, ( i work for a bank) having more than one attorney makes things complicated, especially if they're all in different countries. I'd rethink your plan.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Is it really reasonable or sensible to appoint attorneys who live overseas? It would be a nightmare for them trying to control your affairs from abroad. Have you actually asked those living abroad if they would be prepared to try and do this. I held P of A for both my parents and was never compensated a penny. If you want to do so this why not ask those concerned to come up with a reasonable suggestion. St least you will then know there will be no family arguments about it.
  • meer53 wrote: »
    I deal with POA's at work, ( i work for a bank) having more than one attorney makes things complicated, especially if they're all in different countries. I'd rethink your plan.

Thanks for your reply. I do trust my family to do the right thing for me. There really is no one else. We are a global village and my family members are constantly globetrotting (China, the Middle east, India etc). The appointment is jointly and severally.

• meer53
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2016 at 4:13PM
    Thanks for your reply. I do trust my family to do the right thing for me. There really is no one else. We are a global village and my family members are constantly globetrotting (China, the Middle east, India etc). The appointment is jointly and severally.

I have no doubt you trust your family, my comment was because i feel that having attorneys who don't live in the same country as the incapacitated person causes huge problems for the other attorneys who do. Why do something that will make their lives difficult ?
  • Primrose wrote: »
    Is it really reasonable or sensible to appoint attorneys who live overseas? It would be a nightmare for them trying to control your affairs from abroad. Have you actually asked those living abroad if they would be prepared to try and do this. I held P of A for both my parents and was never compensated a penny. If you want to do so this why not ask those concerned to come up with a reasonable suggestion. St least you will then know there will be no family arguments about it.

Thanks for your reply. We have agreed that each one is prepared to act as attorney, jointly and severally. It is I who want to make sure that none of them lose out and am perfectly happy to compensate each one for the work they put in. I am thinking of writing this in the LPA and am proposing that they be compensated up to the same level as a professional (say a Solicitor) would charge for equivalent service.

• miserable_ol_so_n_so
    miserable_ol_so_n_so Posts: 496
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2016 at 3:51PM
    meer53 wrote: »
    I have no doubt you trust your family, my comment was because i feel that having attorneys who don't live in the same country as the deceased person causes huge problems for the other attorneys who do. Why do something that will make their lives difficult once you are gone ?
    This is about a power of attorney where I am still alive.
    The idea is that they would confer and decide who is best placed at any point in time to do the task. If it came to it, they could engage a solicitor to complete a task and pay for the services. ( this would be out of my money of course).

• meer53
    Forumite
    This is about a power of attorney where I am still alive.
    The idea is that they would confer and decide who is best placed at any point in time to do the task. If it came to it, they could engage a solicitor to complete a task and pay for the services. ( this would be out of my money of course).

I hope my children will do this without the need for a POA, would yours not do the same thing ? Before my late mother in law became ill, we opened a joint account for specifically this reason. When the time came for her to go into a care home, i simply dealt with all the financial stuff from the joint account myself.
  • meer53 wrote: »
    I hope my children will do this without the need for a POA, would yours not do the same thing ? Before my late mother in law became ill, we opened a joint account for specifically this reason. When the time came for her to go into a care home, i simply dealt with all the financial stuff from the joint account myself.
    Thanks for your reply. This is probably what I will do, but an LPA is really necessary as otherwise, the Court of Protection can get involved costing thousands of pounds annually! There are some horrendous stories of what can happen once Solicitors and courts get involved. An LPA avoids this.

• We looked after both our parents with LPA's and it made life much easier having them ( and there was total trust between all parties) . It can be about way more than just banking and being able to pay for stuff. Just having a joint account would not have covered what we needed.

There were 3 of us as attornies who cld act jointly or severally and we had no problems with banks dealing with just myself.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • We looked after both our parents with LPA's and it made life much easier having them ( and there was total trust between all parties) . It can be about way more than just banking and being able to pay for stuff. Just having a joint account would not have covered what we needed.

There were 3 of us as attornies who cld act jointly or severally and we had no problems with banks dealing with just myself.
    Thank you for your reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure