Stuck in the MUD

Hello everybody,

New to this forum and for years I have been looking on it which has helped me out of a hole many times. However this time I can't seem to get out of the hole and I'm a bit stuck in the mud.

I have a disability and consequently makes me wheelchair-bound and reliant on help. My fiancee has been my rock, my strength and she has sacrificed a lot for me. It is coming up to her 30th birthday and although I have lots of ideas for presents I am completely stuck on what to do for her birthday.

There is a another aspect to this she is not from England she is from France and she wants to go to her home Country with me.

As I did not know what she wanted to do for her birthday and my French being not very fluent she said to me that she wants to spend it with family and friends at night and an activity to be done in the day.

After looking up what she could do in the day I could not find much at all. So I asked her straight what do you want to do in the day. She found an experience in a town close to her on a French website. I have paid for this so in a way the day activity is done, although I did not find it for her, this has left me feeling quite blah.

Now for the second part I think I could potentially capitalise one i.e. booking a good restaurant that has some sort of entertainment in a city near her. However again is the same problem everything is written in French and she wants friends and family to be there.

I think she deserves a lot more than this usually I get her a surprise for the day and then take her somewhere nice for the evening with my family and friends.

Maybe it is just me and I overthinking but I can't just find anything to do at night that would be special..... I feel like I am just letting her organise her own birthday.

Please can you give me any help ideas,

Kind regards,

JJ

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Use google translate (its on google chrome). You can translate any web page into English (or a different language if you prefer).

Maybe also ask her friends/family what her fave place to eat is.

Just as an aside, I don't see how being a chair user makes you unable to book a restaurant? I'm disabled too (although completely different), just not sure why it matters?
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have you Googled evening activities near her town/city at all? I would think there would be many activities going on of an evening, such as cooking, cupcake decorating, wine tasting etc.

If you want to extra special for her 30th, what about arranging a treasure hunt for her and her family and they have to find you in a place, with her 30th birthday pressie??
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure