Bricklane - Property ISA

Options
13»

Comments

• firestone
    Options
    ozaz wrote: »
    I'm considering dipping my toes in. They now have around 20-25 properties and they have a welcome offer which reduces the initial investment fee down to 1%

All these factors appeal to me.

This might have changed since your post, but they do now refer to the ISA as a S&S ISA both on their homepage and FAQ. Unfortunately, the term property ISA does still appear in places.

I'm wondering this as well. I'm thinking that because Bricklane's REIT is not traded on a stock market it may be less volatile than REITs traded on stock markets. Can anyone comment?

Also, it focuses on residential properties, which I don't think is the norm for REITs. That may be an advantage or a disadvantage I suppose.
    not sure if it will be less volatile but would guess it could be harder to sell as possibly a smaller buyers market.It is very similar to the likes of Property Partner & Property Moose and others in the P2P sector have you looked at them?In that they Crowdfund a property and pay the rental income out and with ways to sell but not always easily (but unique to each as to how)
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 December 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    firestone wrote: »
    not sure if it will be less volatile but would guess it could be harder to sell as possibly a smaller buyers market.It is very similar to the likes of Property Partner & Property Moose and others in the P2P sector have you looked at them?In that they Crowdfund a property and pay the rental income out and with ways to sell but not always easily (but unique to each as to how)

Yeah I've seen Property Partner and Property Moose (and currently have a small amount in a Property Partner account). But you can't hold them inside an ISA which is one of the things that appeals to me about Bricklane. Also Property Partner and Property Moose are more hands-on (in that you choose individual properties rather than prepared portfolios). Hands-off nature of Bricklane appeals to me.

Low liquidity is the main potential concern for me, but I won't be putting a significant amount in until I've tested selling a few times. I also feel this form of investing into property will become more mainstream as BTL loses its appeal so investor base will hopefully grow.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 December 2017 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Low liquidity is the main potential concern for me, but I won't be putting a significant amount in until I've tested selling a few times.

Even if you test the process of selling you might find you are unable to sell, or are but with a large loss, in future market conditions.

Sometimes on illiquid assets there are no buyers or only those buying at bottom dollar prices. As such the asset manager may put a freeze on withdraws to avoid everyone suffering large losses.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Liquidity is the big issue with bricklane or any other physical property fund. Suspensions are inevitable at some point.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm thinking that because Bricklane's REIT is not traded on a stock market it may be less volatile than REITs traded on stock markets. Can anyone comment?

An asset has a value, eg a price at which it will sell. The fact that its price isn't publicly available on a day to day basis, doesn't mean its not fluctuating.

Take a terrace of identical houses. Number 10 is bought and sold every 3 months over 20 years and you can draw a nice graph of its price going up and down. Number 11 is never put up for sale.

Its value still fluctuated just the same as number 10, merely because the fluctuation wasn't made public doesn't alter that.

More fundamentally, the fact that you cannot see what the value of Bricklane is at any moment should be very worrying rather than a good thing, because when you wish to sell, how do you know what you should expect to get?
  • Ubtree
    Ubtree Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Bricklane appears to be neither open-ended nor closed-ended: they appear to be able to issue new shares at will and buy them back (as an open-ended OEIC does), but the usual mechanism appears to be to invest by buying shares from existing shareholders and sell shares to existing or new shareholders (as with a closed-ended PAIF), but the shares are not traded on an open stock exchange and it is not clear to me whether the share price is determined by market value or based on net asset value. This simply makes no sense to me.
  • ozaz
    Options
    Ubtree wrote: »
    Bricklane appears to be neither open-ended nor closed-ended: they appear to be able to issue new shares at will and buy them back (as an open-ended OEIC does), but the usual mechanism appears to be to invest by buying shares from existing shareholders and sell shares to existing or new shareholders (as with a closed-ended PAIF), but the shares are not traded on an open stock exchange and it is not clear to me whether the share price is determined by market value or based on net asset value. This simply makes no sense to me.

Have you asked Bricklane to comment on this?
  • ozaz
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    An asset has a value, eg a price at which it will sell. The fact that its price isn't publicly available on a day to day basis, doesn't mean its not fluctuating.

Take a terrace of identical houses. Number 10 is bought and sold every 3 months over 20 years and you can draw a nice graph of its price going up and down. Number 11 is never put up for sale.

Its value still fluctuated just the same as number 10, merely because the fluctuation wasn't made public doesn't alter that.

More fundamentally, the fact that you cannot see what the value of Bricklane is at any moment should be very worrying rather than a good thing, because when you wish to sell, how do you know what you should expect to get?

There does seem to be market data available for public viewing:
    http://www.tisegroup.com/market/securities/8445
    http://www.tisegroup.com/market/securities/9067
  • Ubtree
    Ubtree Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Have you asked Bricklane to comment on this?
    I'm looking for objective comments, and I feel that I am much more likely to get these from forum members than I am from the fund manager.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure