talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today my account login valuation is £213 more than the calculator :eek:
  • fonesaver
    fonesaver Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I phoned NS&I, they insist that the calculator is only an estimate but agreed to get someone to check it.
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm shamefully thick when it comes to how these are calculated but I THOUGHT it was all to do with the monthly RPI figure you see in the RPI column here:

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/finance/retailpricesindexandconsumerpriceindex.htm

September 2016 is 264.9 which is higher than the August figure of 264.4. It's also higher than the Sept 2015 figure of 259.6. It's also higher than the YoY figure. I was under the impression that meant they'd gone up.

And that it was months were the RPI figure was actually reduced that meant they go down.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You've all had a haircut to reduce the national debt. Thank you for your service

Greece 2.0
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | Mortgage (Sep 22): £0
    Cashback sites: £900 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    looks like renewing mine for another 5 years in december, if nothing changes before then.
    inflation on the way up, so, expect ns/i to juggle the rates again, before then.
  • talexuser
    Options
    Today my log in valuation has reduced by £213 and is £1 less than the roll over starting amount in May. At least it now agrees with the calculator, but is that correct yet (big jump down from last month)?
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Makes no sense whatsoever to me.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Just logged into mine and the online valuation is higher than the calculator. (Looks to me like the calculator is correct as I expect they calculate inflation to be very low.)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • talexuser
    Options
    Mine is the opposite, online is £1 less than reinvested, and calculator now £6 more than reinvested. We need polymaff on this thread to tell us the correct figure, and then tell NS&I how to fix their calculator and sack the incompetent doing the programming. :)
  • jsinc
    jsinc Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Fella wrote: »
    I'm shamefully thick when it comes to how these are calculated but I THOUGHT it was all to do with the monthly RPI figure you see in the RPI column here:

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/finance/retailpricesindexandconsumerpriceindex.htm

September 2016 is 264.9 which is higher than the August figure of 264.4. It's also higher than the Sept 2015 figure of 259.6. It's also higher than the YoY figure. I was under the impression that meant they'd gone up.

And that it was months were the RPI figure was actually reduced that meant they go down.
    You're right. Example: £17,263.72 May 2016 rollover. Uses Mar & Sep RPI (6 months) plus 0.01% interest rate.

% to date = (0.01% * (6/12)) + (264.9-261.1)/261.1) = 1.46%

£ so far = £17,263.72 * (1 + 1.46%) = £17,515.77
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family