used car tyre advice .

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind that if you ask them to replace the tyre, they'll get the cheapest one they can to put on it, so you're probably better negotiating £50 off for you to replace the tyre with one that matches the rest.

But at this stage, if they resist, are you really going to walk away from it, over what's probably under £100 and 10 minutes in a tyre fitters?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mr_Poves wrote: »
    I'm mainly asking people would they be happy with 3 tyres with for example 6 mm of tread , and one with 2 mm ?
    And whether it's me overthinking the issue .

I definetly wouldn't be happy with it just because of the fact that it had two different tyre brands on the same axle, the fact that it has such a difference in tread depth makes it worse. I would either get them to put on a matching one or negotiate the price of the tyre off the price. But it may be too late because you have already paid the deposit so I'm assuming you have agreed on the price.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »
    Either way it would put me off. Its pretty normal to replace both front/rear as a pair. mixing and matching would suggest a serious lack of care of the vehicle. If the previous owner changed the tyres it would make me a bit suspect about how well they cared for the car while they had it. If the garage did it then i wouldnt by buying a go-cart from a bunch of cowboys like that.

Really? If my car needs a new tyre I'm not going to swap the other perfectly good one just to have a "matching pair", I'll buy the cheapest "decent" tyre they have.

At the moment mine has... Conti & Pirelli front/ Michelin & Good Year rear. Is that really someone showing a serious lack of care?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Really? If my car needs a new tyre I'm not going to swap the other perfectly good one just to have a "matching pair", I'll buy the cheapest "decent" tyre they have.

At the moment mine has... Conti & Pirelli front/ Michelin & Good Year rear. Is that really someone showing a serious lack of care?

Yes that is a serious lack of care!. Firstly tyres on the same axle should be wearing fairly evenly so you shouldn't have to change just one.
    Secondly each of those different tyres will be made from a different compound so they will all have different handling characteristics and also different braking capabilities. This means under heavy braking the car will be less stable.

I always have the same tyres all round on my cars and I always change them in pairs minimum. But on my 2wd cars I swap the wheels front to rear half way through the expected life of the tyres. This means that they all wear out at the same time so I can get 4 at once.

So yes have individual tyres wear out and changing them one by one shows an owner who isn't interested in the care or safety of their vehicle.
  • Mr_Poves
    Mr_Poves Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    What principal is that then

errrr , the principle of common sense - who in their right mind would pay thousands for a car , to then drive out of the dealer into kwik fit for a tyre ?
  • Mr_Poves
    Mr_Poves Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    wazza99 wrote: »
    Not Evans Halshaw is it ?? I had exactly the same issue a while back with the above...criteria is 3mm or less they change the tyres above that no change....hard and fast rule.

On balance price was much lower than others so, yes I bought a tyre a week after buying a car...all swings and roundabouts !

No not them , another big name though .
    I seem to have rattled a few cages as there was a new tyre on today when I arrived .
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input .
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No not them , another big name though .
    I seem to have rattled a few cages as there was a new tyre on today when I arrived .
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input .

That's good - I hope they are a matched set of four now.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    errrr , the principle of common sense - who in their right mind would pay thousands for a car , to then drive out of the dealer into kwik fit for a tyre ?

no one in their right mind should go to kwik-fit.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the old bias to Kwik fit/ATS and the like is uncalled for now, the old scams are largely gone in my experience, my local Kwik Fit and ATS are both friendly and do exactly as you ask with no additional pressure. I do have a local independent garage also but there are times when the fast fit places just work better, they offer drive in drive out services with menu pricing.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options

Yes. It is. Running mis-matched tyres on the same axle is dangerous. If you are too skintflint to pay to keep your car safe then you would be unlikely to pay to keep it otherwise properly maintained. Doing this on an average runaround would be bad enough. If this was done on a performance car it would be somewhere beyond moronic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure