IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Too late to appeal? Parking Eye Court Claim

Options

Comments

• Carthesis
    Carthesis Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    My apologies - when I've come back to this I've just realised I misread this and thought you were at post-PPC appeal rather than already at LBCCC stage.

I'll bow out of any more input as I have no experience of County Court claims, but I'd echo what everyone else has said that, given the circumstances, there is absolutely no harm whatsoever in writing to PE and making the offer of a reduced fee to settle if you'd prefer to avoid the stress of court. If absolutely nothing else, it shows your willingness to mitigate costs and avoid a claim which will waste the time of a court, which can only be in your favour should it go so far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fedupex wrote: »
    Coupon-mad you're a total star, thank you! Very considerate of you to provide the email address and subject heading for PE alongside all that other advice. I have just acknowledged the claim on MCOL and stated my intent to defend, buying myself a further 14 days. I will ask my ex whether he'd rather we make an offer or go for the full defence, (£15 each would be manageable if they were to accept an offer of £30). If they won't accept an offer I'm fully prepared to go to court alongside him even if I have to be wheeled in there!

It's your ex who must be doing this as the parking ticket was issued to him as was the court claim. Have you acknowledged in his name or your own name?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fedupex
    fedupex Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Umkomaas, I have done it all in his name as I feel ultimately responsible, can do it lying down and he hates anything to do with computers! Thank you for your time :)
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Why should you give them a penny. A council would almost certainly cancel and if it got to an adjudicator he/she would be likely to throw it out anyway.

Give the PPC as much grief as possible, it costs them money.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Umkomaas, I have done it all in his name as I feel ultimately responsible, can do it lying down and he hates anything to do with computers! Thank you for your time :)

That's good. He will also have to appear at court, but you can also attend with him. Check out 'McKenzie Friend'.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fedupex
    Options
    Hello again, I emailed Parking Eye with an offer but have heard nothing (surprise surprise) and so I would like to ask for help submitting a defence please. I have a few days left. Having read through a few defence examples, I'm pretty confused as to what I should include seeing as I'm only contesting the fact that the ex shouldn't be liable for such a charge considering the overstay was only about 20 minutes and due to my disability.

I read Parking Eye V Cargius and the only defence the judge accepted was "The Claimant has suffered no actual, or genuine pre-estimate of loss as a result of the alleged overstay, and their charge of £100 is therefore not recoverable" ...

My questions are thus: Would this suffice as my defence in this case? And do I need to explain my circumstances in the same way I did when I emailed PE?

Again, many thanks in advance for reading
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where was/is this car park? Have you contacted the car park owners yet, regarding the actions of their agents?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • fedupex
    Options
    Hi Half_Way and thanks for your reply. It was Holy Trinity Church, Tower Road Newquay. I figured being a CCC it was too late for that?
  • fedupex
    Options
    One more specific question please: How do I include in my defence the fact that my long-term debilitating medical condition which slows me down (blue badge or not) should allow me to park for longer?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello again, I emailed Parking Eye with an offer but have heard nothing (surprise surprise) and so I would like to ask for help submitting a defence please. I have a few days left. Having read through a few defence examples, I'm pretty confused as to what I should include seeing as I'm only contesting the fact that the ex shouldn't be liable for such a charge considering the overstay was only about 20 minutes and due to my disability.

I read Parking Eye V Cargius and the only defence the judge accepted was "The Claimant has suffered no actual, or genuine pre-estimate of loss as a result of the alleged overstay, and their charge of £100 is therefore not recoverable" ...

My questions are thus: Would this suffice as my defence in this case? And do I need to explain my circumstances in the same way I did when I emailed PE?

Again, many thanks in advance for reading

No chance with that. You do know the Beavis case a year ago, kicked out 'GPEOL' as a defence?
    How do I include in my defence the fact that my long-term debilitating medical condition which slows me down (blue badge or not) should allow me to park for longer?

You write exactly that - it's your ex who must be doing this as the parking ticket was issued to him as was the court claim. State that the parking firm has caused indirect discrimination to the disabled population at large which has caused detriment to the driver, who was in such pain that they struggled to get back into the car comfortably, before leaving to get home as quick as possible, certainly not agreeing to pay a further charge for the minutes taken to get back into the vehicle in pain, then carefully drive out, giving way to cars and pedestrians.

You can also cite the BPA Grace Periods of course.

And what's wrong with the very good defence examples shown under 'Small Claim?' in the NEWBIES thread? I added to them just this week! Go and read them and grab the best defence points (yep it's a learning curve but I do NOT accept that they are hard to understand!).

Finally, is your original PCN (NOT the 'Reminder') a 'blank space at the bottom' one which does not mention '29 days...keeper liability'. Compare it CAREFULLY to this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71526676

WHICH ONE DO YOU HAVE?

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure