Medical incident at work - New Suit ruined - Whose responsible?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    You clearly are not listening.

The recent posts have been about if you were the person having epilepsy, not the person who had the coat.

If it were me and I had a fit I would be asking if everyones clothes were ok, you seem to think its ok not to do this which is of course your perogative to potentially ruin peoples items(again...whether intentionally or not)

Really? In your first days in a new job when you suffer from an embarrassing disability you'd ask the whole office what happened when you had a fit and whether anyone's property got damaged? Why would the guy even suspect that had happened?

If I collapsed at work and cut myself unless someone told me otherwise it wouldn't cross my mind that anyone would have grabbed a suit jacket to stem the flow of blood. If I thought about it at all I'd assume that a towel or paper towels were used, or that there wasn't much blood loss and nothing was needed.

I have to say that my daughters had loads of seizures and whilst she often vomits during them, she doesn't bleed profusely when she hits the ground so it's not a normal thing to happen and sounds like this chap was unlucky. But again he almost certainly doesn't know how much blood there was or that anyone's clothing was damaged.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But surely you would check, Nicki seems to think its ok to not bother even checking

I don't think I would - I would assume as a matter of course that my colleagues are competent. And they are. A colleague bled on the carpet a while back and we cleaned it up without fuss or leaving marks.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't ask the whole office, just the manager or first aider. Most of the time it's been something that can be chucked like hospital owned scrubs or paper towels but sometimes unfortunately it is someone's property and I do pay up as stated above.

I've taken to keeping a pile of scrubs about to get incinerated for being too stained to use in a corner near my desk but you can't predict where I'll go down next.
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Soak the jacket in some biological washing powder overnight in warm water. It will come out. Put it on a hanger to dry.
    Then get it cleaned to get the nice press & finish on it.

I'd maybe use cold water. Perhaps the best thing for the OP to do is post a photo of the label on the old style board for advice on getting it clean. At the price one would hope it's decent quality, so I'd be surprised if it couldn't be retrieved - although having allowed the blood to dry won't have helped.
  • SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2016 at 10:40PM
    Options
    Did the presentation have flashing lights??

Wondering if the marketing people need to be spoken to about appropriate (or giving warnings ahead of time) use of flashing etc in a presentation.
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    Options
    basil92 wrote: »
    A few years ago, in the middle of winter, whilst cycling to work, I witnessed a very bad accident on a dual carriage way...then an elderly guy knocked down by another car whilst attending the initial accident.

Others were attending him before I could get there so I kept a respectable distance. They didn't move him and needed coats etc to try and keep him warm. I immediately took off my coat and gave it to them.

The air ambulance arrived, he was treated and then airlifted hospital.

I was in shock and after my statement had been taken by the police and also been asked by the ambulance people if I was ok...I set off shakily pushing my bike to my destination...

I never saw my coat again...it was a gortex mountaineering coat and had cost me £300... which was a huge amount of money to me (still is)..and something I'd saved up for for ages...

Mattered not a jot to me...I just spent weeks hoping the fella was ok. The police had taken my statement and the driver was going to be prosecuted...I just hoped the guy had survived.

Months later, a lady tapped me on the shoulder in a local supermarket and said you were there and gave your help and coat to my friend to keep him warm when he was hit by a car. Thank you so much.. .All I said was is he ok? ...and thankfully she said that after a week in hospital he'd recovered well...

That made my day...the expensive coat I lost was the last thing on my mind.

Lovely thing to do. My husband was hit by a car and passers by did the exact same thing with their coats, one even sat with an umbrella and kept his head dry. It meant a lot to both of us that people did that.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not try claiming on your insurance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts