Deaf cats?

Does anybody have any experiences of deaf cats that they can share with me?

There was a deaf kitten at the rescue today that is probably a suitable moggy for us. There's also a deaf cat that I didn't get to meet as we ran out of time and I'm thinking of going back to see him/her. I did fall for an older gentleman but given the uncertainties around kids/dogs in our future, it might be a bit unfair when he deserves a quieter life. We need an indoor cat basically and deaf cats usually go to indoor only homes.

The kitten is black unusually, but the vets that handed her over (I think she was picked up as a stray) said she was deaf and the centre have done a couple of their own tests and it seems to be that way. She was extremely playful and certainly didn't appear to be inhibited by a lack of hearing.

I've done some googling and things like turning the lights on/off quickly to announce yourself, tapping the floor so they feel the vibrations etc are all habits we could quickly get in to.

Comments

• paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2017 at 9:39AM
    I have a deaf girl and TBH, most of the time I totally forget....I certainly don't take any special precautions in dealing with her. ( My garden is cat proofed so she can't get out)
    In general, deaf cats do like to climb....I think they feel safer tucked away on a bookshelf or fridge top. This climbing habit can lead to a fair amount of damage as they knock things off. My girl definitely KNOWS that falling/smashing items attract my attention even though she cannot hear them herself.
    You might need to keep an eye on a deaf cat if you have workmen in as vibrations from drills etc do attract them.
    Here's my girl trying to grab my attention
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUM8l_vXr4
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    a deaf cat used to live behind me. Apparently the vet said just let it carry on as normal and it went outside. The biggest danger is that it will be largely unaware of whats happening behind it , and is more vulnerable to rtas
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Puttytat
    Puttytat Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a cat who went deaf in later years so slightly different to your potential situation. We got around it by taking one of those small key lights out and flashing it to get her to come in at night. She had already gotten road wise whilst she could hear and where we live, the roads are quiet. She didn't really wander too much either so the torch worked well. Like the above post mentions, we also tapped the floor where she was lying to announce our presence. She coped well, and went on to live happily for probably 2-3 years with no hearing. Only old age got her at about 19 years old. Still miss her even after 3 years...
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I don't blame her; you were just stood there watching her rather than giving her a fuss :p

Moggy definitely won't be going out - in our current home at least - as we have a busy main road on one side and people drive too fast down the road on the other. That's why we've been specifically looking at indoor-only cats. In a future home she may be able to go out with supervision/into a secure garden/pen.

The torch is a good idea. I'm wondering whether we could get different colours to mean different things to her.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!

Lovely cat. I love the way that she knocks off the non breakable items and avoids the glass.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Another one here who used to bang the floor twice when calling the cat. And hand/arm gestures for when floorboards aren't available

(It makes a pleasant change to deal with a cat that can't hear you, rather than the vast majority, who simply pretend they can't, by the way. And you'll be able to open a packet or the fridge door more easily :))
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My dog is now deaf and blind

He still has a sense of smell

I just run my hand along him to gain his attention and as long as furniture isn't moved he's ok

Outside isn't a problem as we have a secure garden
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I had a pair of deaf kittens, Mutt & Jeff. As youngsters I enclosed a portion of garden that the could access from a lounge window, but at around 8 months we moved to a semi-rural location and they roamed free.
    I taught them that a waving hand meant treats, so if I could get their attention (!) they came when "called". They lived with other cats and dogs happily and didn't really need any special care at all. Jeff died in his late teens, Mutt made it to 21 years!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • paddypaws101
    Lovely cat. I love the way that she knocks off the non breakable items and avoids the glass.

The glass jar, along with all other breakable/smashable items is held down with Museum Putty ;) as Madam loves nothing more than the tinkle of glass or china followed by a stampeding human. It is lucky that I have a friend who is a podiatrist as I have had to get slithers of glass removed from my feet on numerous occasions. :eek:
  • paddypaws101

(It makes a pleasant change to deal with a cat that can't hear you, rather than the vast majority, who simply pretend they can't, by the way. And you'll be able to open a packet or the fridge door more easily :))
    Madam likes to sleep ON TOP of the fridge or kitchen cupboards so she is warned of any activity in that area. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure