Buying Smart TV

Options
13»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    As you have a perfectly good TV the add on box is the way to go.

It will be cheaper than a new TV and will get you into the options so you are better clued up when you get your next TV.

Do you have sky or Virgin now or just using freeview?

We went with NowTV, first box was a free one pricing error at Tesco) it supports all the things we need for now and the subscriptions stuff is cheap when you find the offers.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 9:49AM
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    Do be careful if buying a new tv - not all smart tv's have the same apps built into them. I've had to discount a couple as they either do not have netflix or a regular browser installed, and with no chance of adding them later :(

take it you mean internet browser. if so, why would you want a browser on a tv? last time i tried to use one it was useless. have things improved?

as people have said smart tvs are not that smart
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most TVs have an HDMI port and you could use that to connect your lap top to the tv and access internet.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    You do realise that's a one-off £60? And that some folks spend that every month on their Sky subscription?

For the hardware, subscription is ongoing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Without a subscription to Amazon Prime/Netfix, your 'Smart' TV will be limited to free services, like youtube, BBC iPlayer ect.

Netflix is £7.49 a month, Amazon is £79 a year. I've had both, and am sticking with Amazon - the combination of music streaming, video and free next-day (or same day) deliveries is pretty good.

You might find the 'smart' bit of a smart tv only ever getting used for BBC Iplayer, if you don't have another subscription.

Wait for black Friday, get one of the new Amazon Fire Sticks at a reduced price - that'd be the MSE way to turn a TV smart.
  • henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Non smart TV with HDMI connections and an amazon fire stick loaded with Kodi is all you need.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your very helpful replies, which I have only just got back to.

I did go ahead and order an Amazon Firestick before seeing your replies about Black Friday:(

Hopefully that will work for all I need.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport