IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Hand written permit instead of printed - Horizon

Options
sm95
sm95 Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 15 October 2016 at 5:19PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I'd just received my first parking ticket yesterday morning and I'm unsure how to proceed.

I paid for and generated a full day permit for my university car park the night before and wrote out the details word for word onto a piece of paper instead of printing it out (includes booking reference, car reg and 'validation'). I've been doing this for a while and never gotten a ticket.

So I had this displayed, went to my lecture, came back about 2 hours later and a warden was printing out a ticket and told me that I'm not allowed to have hand written permits because if they allowed that then "everyone would just write out fake permits and they have no way of checking if it's real" and said that this is clearly mentioned on the permit T&Cs.

puu.sh/rJSUY/c1bdb2a902.jpg as you can see there's no mention of the permit needing to be printed, although it does mention this on the university permit website about half way down the FAQs page, so not really common knowledge.

The PCN company in question is Horizon Parking, I had a read through the sticky, they're an AOS member with the BPA.

My question is, do I need to wait 3 weeks before appealing? And should I copy the template to get a rejection/POPLA code or would I have a legitimate chance of them dismissing it as I actually had paid for a permit to park on that day?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    Options
    Why did you not print it?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should amend your post to remove information about who was driving.

The keeper should appeal around day 26 using the BPA template in blue, exactly as it says in the NEWBIES.

The keeper can be either the registered keeper, or the keeper on the day of the alleged event, who may or may not be the registered keeper.

Do not mention who was driving under any circumstances.

Save other info about no mention of the permit having to be printed for PoPLA.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    edited 15 October 2016 at 7:42PM
    Options
    http://puu.sh/rJSUY/c1bdb2a902.jpg

The notice says payment will be deducted once the permit has been printed. How did you make payment if you didn't print a copy.
  • sm95
    Options
    Why did you not print it?
    My printer's not been working for a while, I'd print them out occasionally at uni when I had a chance otherwise I'd just write them down the night before
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    You should amend your post to remove information about who was driving.

The keeper should appeal around day 26 using the BPA template in blue, exactly as it says in the NEWBIES.

The keeper can be either the registered keeper, or the keeper on the day of the alleged event, who may or may not be the registered keeper.

Do not mention who was driving under any circumstances.

Save other info about no mention of the permit having to be printed for PoPLA.
    Okay thank you! Should I include scans of an actual permit and my handwritten one when appealing to PoPLA?
  • sm95
    Options

The notice says payment will be deducted once the permit has been printed. How did you make payment if you didn't print a copy.
    I'm not sure why they've put that, the way the system works is you pay for x amount of vouchers and then go to the booking page and select the date(s) needed after which you can generate them (single days or all together) and you're emailed a PDF of the permit which you can then print
  • Fruitcake
    Options
    sm95 wrote: »
    My printer's not been working for a while, I'd print them out occasionally at uni when I had a chance otherwise I'd just write them down the night before

Okay thank you! Should I include scans of an actual permit and my handwritten one when appealing to PoPLA?

If you have proof that you paid for a permit for the driver, and there is nothing stating it must be printed, then you can mention that this is what the driver did, along with all the other standard appeal points. However, you are at the initial appeal stage so it's just a copy and paste and send exercise at the moment.
  • Fruitcake
    Options
    sm95 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they've put that, the way the system works is you pay for x amount of vouchers and then go to the booking page and select the date(s) needed after which you can generate them (single days or all together) and you're emailed a PDF of the permit which you can then print

Can you access the proof of payment page, or did you take a screenshot perhaps? This would at least show that you paid. Bank/card statements can also be used for proof of payment.

Have you complained to the landowner?
  • sm95
    Options
    Can you access the proof of payment page, or did you take a screenshot perhaps? This would at least show that you paid. Bank/card statements can also be used for proof of payment.

Have you complained to the landowner?
    yeah I'm able to take a screenshot of the permit site to prove a permit was purchased, booked and generated and also back it up with a bank statement.

I haven't complained yet but tbh I only just noticed on the website's main page it says "You will need to print out the permit and clearly display it on your vehicle's dashboard on the days you have booked to park on campus."

puu.sh/rK2vN/344669a0b9.png

Could I argue that it doesn't clearly mention that the permit is only valid if printed or just the website in general isn't that clear or just something along those lines? Seeing as it doesn't mention something like "this permit is only valid if printed" on the T&C's on the actual permit itself too
  • Fruitcake
    Options
    You could say that having to print the permit is an unfair clause as not everyone has access to a printer.

However, for the purposes of the appeals it doesn't really matter. You will win on technical legal points, not whether the permit was hand carved in stone or scribed on vellum.

Just follow the NEWBIES process. Proving you have paid is a bonus, but not essential to win.
  • sm95
    Options
    You could say that having to print the permit is an unfair clause as not everyone has access to a printer.

However, for the purposes of the appeals it doesn't really matter. You will win on technical legal points, not whether the permit was hand carved in stone or scribed on vellum.

Just follow the NEWBIES process. Proving you have paid is a bonus, but not essential to win.
    would it make a difference if I write a somewhat actual appeal to Horizon first instead of the template? A friend just told me something similar happened to him and he was let off with a warning as it was the first offense, as is mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure