Funeral help

Options
2»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even if your brother were eligible, it wouldn't cover the expenses planned so far.
    https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/what-youll-get

I think you and your brother need to have another conversation about what you're both willing or able to pay, and review the plans accordingly. If you want flowers, it's easy and cheaper to make a simple spray yourself, for example. If your brother wants the extras and you don't have the money, he has the option of paying for it himself. You need to be upfront about your curcumstances.
    It's the memories of your mum that's important, not the couple of hours if the formal send off.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You really should ask your brother to show you a complete breakdown of costs BEFORE trying to pay a deposit with money you can ill afford/don't have, & committing yourself to half the rest of the costs as well.

Depends where you live of course, but £1000 is about right to reopen a grave ready for another burial. For ashes it's about £320. Had your Mum ever indicated a preference?

Usually up to 7 mourners can travel in a funeral car, do you really need 2? The cost for both will be about £250.

Flowers, hmmm, yes they look beautiful, & can cost an arm & a leg. Fine if you can afford it, not fine if you cannot! Cheaper options or expensive from a florist, they'll have dried up & died in a week either way.

When my time comes I want a whacking 5' display of lillies on my coffin, cost about £350. If my husband or son have precious little money I want a single red rose from Tesco with a beautiful poem off the internet.

Sometimes people forget that first & foremost this is about LOVE not money. You don't love your Mum any less by needing to budget, don't make the mistake of thinking she would want you to struggle financially just to give her what might look to others to be a 'good send off'.

Get the cost breakdown & make changes.

My sympathies.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure