Inheritence and benefits.

Options
13»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My post about me inhertiting everything and to give her pocket money was to wind up a user whose post seems to have been removed.

Yes mum is in her 60's and may live a long time yet, and i have told her to spend it all anyway, none of it will affect me. I dont need it and it will be below the tax threshhold anyway.

But there is nothing stopping me buying her a car or paying for her holiday etc.

As i was typing this question up i expected the pay your tax etc type posts and even got me thinking of whats acceptable and whats not. Its a minefield.
    She is currently applying for PIP and may end up in a wheelchair full time.

So she can use the money to buy a property whether its a part ownership etc, but couild she do that whilst on benefits?

Dad was only in his 60's also, ive had 2 mates pass away at 43 and 47. So you never really know whats around the corner.

Mums views are that so many people get everything and do nothing to earn it, why should she give money to my sister when its going to be taken away essentially. Gets angry at the stories of immigrants claiming for children they dont have and sending a fortune home whilst getting everything from foodbanks etc.

Its a minefield.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Mersey wrote: »
    The latter is untrue. Family members can give gifts. Only capital over £6k can stop/reduce a means-tested benefit claim.

I don't think they meant all benefits would be lost just that they would be affected. I thought that if it was a regular sum being given it was taken into account for benefits but a gift which isn't regular wasn't. So giving someone £100 a month every month would be taken into consideration but a birthday present of £1200 wouldn't be ( as long as total savings were under £6000).
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Londonsu wrote: »

And again you have to realise that your Mums assets can and will be used to pay for any care she needs so you might not inherit anything anyway.

if you were to give her 'pocket money' she would committing benefit fraud as all money has to be declared for income based benefits.

True, borkid.

It was the above I was responding to - as I thought it might worry the OP & others reading that assertion ["all money has to be declared"]. Otherwise the DWP would be overrun with paperwork if every £500 PPI payout was regarded as a change of circs or even fraud.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure