Timber window repaint

Options
I have been quoted £840 for the painting and repair of:

8 windows with four panes each
1 third-storey dormer window which will be accessed with an arrest harness
1 set of patio doors (two doors with four panes each)
Porch & fascia boards

They are not falling to bits but are showing signs of rot. Part of the dormer window (not sure what the part is called, the wooden planks to the side) is being replaced as part of the work.

Comments

• krey
    krey Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    hahahah :D
    here you go,
    the best paint there is for such stuff,

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/sikkens-rubbol-bl-satura?sid=1&s=423145-950010b414dfef71dbd321a6c7e06529

and here is an excellent filler
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p79488

I'm sure you know where to buy a brush yourself!
    oh and masking tapes are the cheapest at homebargains.
    All the stuff you need, not a rocketscience, off you go!
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Daughter just paid £500 to have sash windows and upstairs windows painted just frame and sills. He did repair the rotten bit on one side of the windows. Her sash windows are from Everest and they are timber and no painters seem to want to paint the inside of the windows where they will need to have a steady hand and patience and it will be time consuming. She also said if the inside of the windows are not done properly they will not be closed. As it is only the frames have been painted and she has been quoted £1000 to paint just one bay window downstairs and one upstairs. She said one and a half day work for two painters. She lives in greater ondon.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    We had a quote of £3k (not including scaffolding) to paint 18 Windows (some Victorian sashes, but mainly 1920s Crittalls), plus 2 large square bays and eight external doors, most of which have small, leaded-type panes. There are also a few overhanging eaves etc. The house is three storeys plus cellar. We're in the West Midlands.

In the spirit of the forum I decided to tackle them myself - DH is currently too busy working and restoring the rest of the house, lol! - and, whilst it's taken me all summer I'm nearly done and managed it without scaffolding/long ladders as I was able to work from inside for the most part (don't try this at home unless wearing a harness :eek:).

Saved a fortune as it only cost a couple of hundred £££ for paint, sandpaper etc. Looks fab too, even if I say so myself :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family