🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

VENT: October is Free Wills Month - Scam?

Options
try going to the web site http://freewillsmonth.org.uk/
Seems that whatever postcode you enter, you are told "Sorry - we're not in your area at the moment"
Really? Is this just an email address collecting service so that you can be sold an expensive will-making service in 4 weeks time?
I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It came up with 6 solicitors in my area (including the solicitor I used for my conveyancing last year, so I may go with them).
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I put in some false details but used a real postcode near me ... I had 3 Glasgow-based solicitors returned as results.

Not that I need to sort my will ... we did ours a few years ago under the Will-Aid scheme.
  • Paully232000
    Options
    I tried it as well with my postcode and came up with 5 solicitors near to me. Also I put in my old postcode and a few came up including the solicitors I used a few years ago during free wills week.

Must be just none near you.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    Thanks everyone but this does not just work for my current postcode and none of my previous ones in London either. Just tried Buckingham palace SW1A 1AA and still get told none are available.
    Ditto Cambridge CB1 0AA

However, if I use glasgow (G1 1HR) or LeicesterI get results. Clearly not a London or Southern thing AFAICS....

Oh well, better pay money to a solicitor I suppose...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • Paully232000
    Options
    Thanks everyone but this does not just work for my current postcode and none of my previous ones in London either. Just tried Buckingham palace SW1A 1AA and still get told none are available.
    Ditto Cambridge CB1 0AA

However, if I use glasgow (G1 1HR) or LeicesterI get results. Clearly not a London or Southern thing AFAICS....

Oh well, better pay money to a solicitor I suppose...

You might be right as if I use my old SG6 postcode, the nearest solicitor is in Bedford.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    After wasting a load of time on this spotted that the postcode entry thing is a bit poor.
    I get results if I just enter the first part but not if I enter the whole thing. Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere near me.
    So, nice idea, but no use....
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hmm ... Bod told me he used a full postcode when he tried this morning.

He asked me to post this reply because MSE have perma-banned him yet have given no reason whatsoever.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Won't work in my area so why does it say try another area?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Hmm ... Bod told me he used a full postcode when he tried this morning.

Yes, full postcode was what I used and it worked fine - unfortunately, what it doesn't do is tell you whether the solicitors have any appointments, the one I hoped to use had already allocated all of their available slots.

Bit annoying about Bod, MSE's use of PPR seems somewhat arbitrary at times.
  • easilydistracted
    Options
    If you have no luck with the free will site have you tried looking at Will Aid. Firms are booking now for November. It's not free but for a suggested donation to charity, which is less than usual firms rates. They suggest £95 single will or £150 mirror wills. Saves being hassled to leave a legacy which I think is part of the Free Will idea.
    Saving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family