We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

No gas usage: But want to be on a tariff

richard_3095
richard_3095 Posts: 130 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
edited 10 October 2016 at 6:21PM in Energy
Currently I have a somewhat temporary situation of having the gas capped off. Because I got a refund from EON in March for the gas standing charges, because my gas is capped off , I thought since then I was effectively saving monies, but today have been told I cannot be refunded gas standing charges since March. So, I've been effectively paying a high electricity tariff unknowingly.

I'm wondering what is my best way forward: I'd love it if I could obtain a duel fuel tariff, whereby gas will accrue no standing charges, but, perhaps there are no such deals. Then gas standing charge would start the moment I uncap the gas. Unless I am mistaken then, my only real option is to simply have an electricity tariff, and set up a duel fuel tariff, when I finally get my gas uncapped. Any thoughts? Thanks. Rich

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,521 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You don't need dual fuel to get a good electric tariff, single tariffs are usually cheaper - a lot of these dual fuel specials cross subsidise each other. Go with someone like Ebico for the gas - expensive unit charge but zero standing charge and choose whoever looks good for electric.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.