Having the kitchen and lounge in the same room

Options
12346»

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love my open plan room but part of that is because I live on my own.

When I have visitors round I don't have to disappear to cook or make a drink and so it is more sociable.

My washing machine and tumble dryer are off the main room in a tiny utility room but my dishwasher is in the main room which I can hear but is not much of a problem. I have bought the quietest fridge freezer as my previous one was far too noisy.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the myriad home improvement programs, 99% of which have open-plan living, the main reason cited for this is "I can keep an eye on the children while in the kitchen".

So it seems to be if children < 12yo go open plan. At some point after that a closed door is very desirable!
  • fourxxxx
    Options
    Just think of you settee, always stinking of cooking.
    Kitchen should always be seperate from you living space.:mad:
  • treecol
    treecol Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've recently taken down the wall between the kitchen & dining room. It's been really good for extra space & worktop surface for cooking. But I'm glad we didn't go open plan withe the living room too. I'm always noisy while cooking with my gadgets & extractor, so no one would have been able to sit & watch tv.
    1st time we had friends for dinner after the remodel, they sat at the dining table table whilst I finished the meal. I felt uncomfortable being watched. Also being talked to distracted me (I do go into another zone when I cook!) & I ended up taking a pyrex dish straight from the oven with no glove on. Ouch! Not sure I like guests eating in the same room I've just totally trashed while cooking. But that's just my oddities, maybe.
    However my next door neighbours took walls down to make the whole cooking/dining/living area open plan before putting their house on tne market. The new owners are about to put the walls back in as they don't like noise & smells.
    Perhaps it's an age group thing. We & our new neighbours have no children at home. But the neighbours the other side who've just gone open plan have young children.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure