What if your employer lies to tax office

Options
2»

Comments

• dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I take it back, they can.

Though the thought has occurred to me that there must be authorised officers investigating tax credit fraud. Just wondering which legislation they can use to require info.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:31AM
    Options
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Though the thought has occurred to me that there must be authorised officers investigating tax credit fraud. Just wondering which legislation they can use to require info.

I knew there would be but I thought there would be data protection issues with discussing with the employer but apparently not (same with childcare provider). Tells you in the claimant compliance manual if you can be bothered looking through it.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I knew there would be but I thought there would be data protection issues with discussing with the employer but apparently not (same with childcare provider). Tells you in the claimant compliance manual if you can be bothered looking through it.

In honesty I was just wondering out loud!

I think compliance means a different thing in HMRC than it does in DWP
  • Adereterial
    Options
    If the company is in administration, you can also report this to the administrator. Investigating potential misconduct by the directors is part of the administrators job, and it may contribute to sanctions being imposed. You should also register a claim and give them proof of the debt - the administrators may be in a position to pay you some of what is owed.
  • farenkaren
    Options
    Thanks for this. As I understood it though the Redundancy Payment Service is only for people employed when the company goes into bankruptcy or similar?That happened after I left.
  • farenkaren
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Thought you might like to know what happened. It still isn't resolved.

1. I asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration and sent again my bank accounts and Employment Tribunal Award.

2. I received a reply saying that they will not reconsider the decision because ' There is no provision within the tax credit legislation ...(to alter the amounts) and that I should 'contact the tax office to ask them to look into this matter'

3. I contacted the tax office. They wouldn't even tell me whether the tax had been paid on my earnings and suggested that I send in bank statements etc.

In other words I am back where I started! I can't see that the tax office will have any interest in helping me so...

There is no point chasing the company as essentially it no longer exists.

Will let you know if I get anywhere though I'm not very optimistic. Thanks:)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Email your MP.
    They can give the Tax Credits system a boot, but may need the whole NMW bit explaining in single syllable words.
  • farenkaren
    Options
    Final update. Apologies for delay
    I managed to get this resolved - but just through luck really.
    I went to CAB and the adviser happened to know someone who works at the tax office. Knowing someone seemed to be the trick and the person concerned kindly chased this up and was able to correct my tax return.

Not much help though for other people who might find themselves in the same situation. As I said, I was just fortunate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure