PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to tip the removal men

Options
13»

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I had thought maybe of downsizing, and getting a flat. But if the removal could cost thousands, i'll stay where i am.

It doesn't need to cost 'thousands'

As Levs01 has said, DIY is cheap

Even a long haul ( Surrey to Antrim) was less then a grand and that was them dismantling furniture, storage for a week, and rebuilding

I just booked space on a returning to Belfast Lorry. They would rather get a couple of hundred each from small pick ups then run an empty Lorry back to base

Even tonight I'm having a car bought over from England, cheaper then the ferry crossing for myself. Once again it was booking an empty space on a returning transporter
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hoploz wrote: »
    They will probably sort their own lunch out. There's always loads of hanging around when they've left the old house and before you get the keys to the new one, even allowing for the journey.

There'll be no hanging around - we are lucky enough to already have the keys to the new house :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Thank you everyone - your comments are much appreciated!
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We paid £90 to hire a van and moved ourselves with the help of my cousin and father-in-law. We thanked them both by having them (and the families) round for takeaways but they did give their time for free.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I piggyback on this? As a result of repairs to my flat my furniture is now in storage. I didn't tip the removal men. Should I tip them when they bring the stuff back? I'm not actually paying them as it is covered by insurance.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their firm will be charging a handsome figure if it's through insurance. Tip if you want, but there's no need to tip someone doing their job.
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved our removal guys didn't even want brews (packed day before and then moved 40 miles). They were happy with water! They were the least fussy guys ever. Best £800 I've ever spent.

We had family do a DIY move recently. It was awful. We did point out that we hadn't even packed and moved our own house nevermind someone elses, and we hadn't seen them volunteer to help when we moved!
  • Bossworld
    Bossworld Posts: 423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paid £380, our move was short notice and included a bunch of awkwardly shaped items like IKEA bags.

Three lads and the truck, so gave a £30 tip with the intention they had £10 for a couple of pints each, although I'm not sure that's how the lad who took the cash handed it out lol
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:54AM
    Options
    We paid £450 for two Luton vans moving about three miles. I gave the two removal men £20 each. They were kind of expecting it, as it was the same two who'd moved us 18 months earlier and receivied £20 each.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure