Guide discussion: Gadget insurance

Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 12 September 2023 at 4:28PM in Insurance & life assurance

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Big player in this market is American Express, you don't need to have an AMEX card to take it out.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I have recently purchased an expensive 2000 GBP camera and felt that I would be more comfortable using it in the field if it was insured.

I got a few quotes from gadget insurers but the prices were awful.
    Coincidentally, I was getting a new public indemnity insurance and they have offered me extra protection for the items I carry when on business (that includes my laptop and camera - I work in media industry) and that turned out to be much cheaper.

I'm not sure if it is allowed to disclose my insurer, but you can shop around and I assure you - the gadget insurance rates are much better.
    Obviously, this deal may not be applicable to non-business owners.
  • Does anyone know of any insurers providing family gadget insurance, I.e cover for iPhones for myself, wife and three teenage children?
  • Hi there, with regards phone and gadget insurance not increasing premiums once claims have been made, does that mean you don’t need to declare such claims for the purposes of other insurance (e.g. contents) or do you still declare. Just thinking that it may well not increase your phone insurance premium but what about the other policies you may have? Thanks, Rich.
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2018 at 4:30PM
    Glad I went for this as it turns out I am indeed a loser, well actually I treat things with great care but opened my MacBook Pro recently to find a crack in the LCD!

Leisure Guard seem fine so far, accepted my claim okay and organised repair. As for the repair company ("The New PC") that remains to be seen so far. One thing to note is they're not manufacturer-approved repairers, so you do kiss goodbye to your manufacturer's warranty - they don't tell you this when you sign up for the insurance of course. What will be will be... Applecare would've ran out around July anyway unless I bought the extended one.

Update 15th Feb: it!!!8217;s taking a little longer than I!!!8217;d hoped, but such is the difficulty of unauthorised repairers getting hold of Apple parts. Communication hasn!!!8217;t been stellar as the online tracking is very basic but it is possible to speak to them so despite my worries hopefully all will be ok.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback