IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Tesco to get blue badge info from dvla

Options

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    As the blue badge is for the person and not the vehicle and therefore no records held by DVLA then I fail to see what they think they are achieving by having an instant link to a copy of the DVLA database.

I am not even sure that DVLA would allow a company to have a live link to their database. It opens up the risk of massive DPA breaches

Unless of course they are simply checking for the vehicles Disabled VED status and not ticketing those that come back as exempt even if not displaying a Blue Badge. Wishful thinking I know.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe that the original post header is incorrect. "Tesco to get blue badge info from dvla" Nowhere does it say in the article that they are getting Blue Badge info from the DVLA.

They are probably getting RK information to enable any court action. Of course, then they are bypassing any independent appeal process and run into trouble with POFA and RK liability, although they can tie up the DVLA information with their own sales data to see if the RK was personally shopping in store, thereby lending weight to who was driving.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Unless of course they are simply checking for the vehicles Disabled VED status and not ticketing those that come back as exempt even if not displaying a Blue Badge. Wishful thinking I know.

Yep wishful thinking - it will not be that fair and that wouldn't work.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    I believe that the original post header is incorrect. "Tesco to get blue badge info from dvla" Nowhere does it say in the article that they are getting Blue Badge info from the DVLA.

They are probably getting RK information to enable any court action. Of course, then they are bypassing any independent appeal process and run into trouble with POFA and RK liability, although they can tie up the DVLA information with their own sales data to see if the RK was personally shopping in store, thereby lending weight to who was driving.

Apart from data protection implications of that, what about customers who pay by cash (and don't use a loyalty card)?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »

who is getting the data ? Tesco or highview? , bulk gathering without a cause "could" cause them problems

cash , no clubcard thank you
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if Gladstone are providing the legal advice? :rotfl:
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    I wonder if Gladstone are providing the legal advice? :rotfl:

OH BOY, perish the thought ... Tesco will have real problems then
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    If they are checking that a Blue Badge is valid then I have no argument with that morally (of course, because it stops the REAL Blue Badge abuse) but it's the first I've heard of that being possible for a landowner.

Exactly - The number and variety of people with legal authority to inspect blue badges and pronounce on validity is pretty vanishingly small - and Tesco staff are not amongst them.

Civillians have an established route to complain about BB abuse trough the issuing authorities and nowhere else. Having a go and giving their own take on validity leaves them wide-open to prosecution for harrassment or under the Equality Act and possibly other charges, civil and criminal and in Scotland, their actions could well come within the remit of specific hate-crime legislation.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    who is getting the data ? Tesco or highview? , bulk gathering without a cause "could" cause them problems

cash , no clubcard thank you

Major data protection issue if Highview pass it on to TESCO

Who will issue the ticket ?
    How much will they charge ?
    Will they use debt collectors ?
    Who will take the motorist to court ?

I think they better think it out again
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe it's a bit like the TV detector vans. The vans exist, but can they really detect a TV signal? Even if they can, that information has never been used to prosecute anyone for not having a TV licence. Detector vans driving around apparently did encourage people to buy a licence.

Perhaps just having the signs and telling the average shopper that they can find out if someone doesn't have a BB will be enough to stop some disabled bay abuse.
    We know that most motorists know very little about private parking. Many people with BBs don't know they don't apply to private land let alone people who have no involvement with the BB scheme.

I don't see how this will work in practice other than some people will believe what they have been told, and not park in a disabled bay.

As already mentioned, there are many people with disabilities that don't have a BB, but are eligible to use a disabled bay.
    I often park in a disabled bay and take my elderly disabled relatives into the Sainsbug's cafe. One has a BB and one doesn't. Once they are settled, I drive off. Later on, my wife parks in a disabled bay and collects them.
    If I have the BB, then she doesn't have it when she picks them up, and if she has the BB, I don't have it when I drop them off. In any case, I never, ever display the BB on private property.
    How are Tescos going to manage that situation?
    Where are they going to get the information about blue badge holders from?
    Will they ban someone from a store if they are disabled but don't have a BB?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business