We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New home - Economy 7

guestiee
guestiee Posts: 51
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all,


Just after a but of advice really as to how to play this.


The house that I have moved into used to have storage heaters - they seem to be long gone. There remains an economy 7 meter which does not suit our lifestyle.


I want to change to a smart meter. Should I ask the current providers to fit this, then switch to the cheapest deal locked in for 12 months elsewhere? Or move first then ask for the new meter?


I presume if I switch first then I will need to sign up to an economy 7 plan?


Hope this makes sense and that someone can advise me.
Thanks

Comments

  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Some of the suppliers, EDF for certain, will add the the Day/Night readings together and bill the useage as though it were a Standard meter on your chosen tariff - Pick the supplier you fancy as being the best for your useage and ask them if they will do this, it the answer is NO, go to the next best on the list.

    Make the enquiries by Email so you have a record of the question and answer
  • guestiee
    guestiee Posts: 51
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your help. The best prices seem to be coming out from comparison websites who say I can't get that tariff by going direct though.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Comparision sites cannot show suppliers who will total E7 meter readings and charge Standard meter rates, they only deal with 'Official' tariffs and the meters suitable for them.

    The totalling of readings is 'Off Plan' and purely a private arrangement between you and that supplier - ( If you leave this property sometime in the future, the billing will auto revert to E7 for the next occupier)

    As Post #2, directly ask the supplier/s you are considering if they will totalise the readings, and get a confirmation Email from those who say YES
    Even EDF who are one of the better organised suppliers, though that's not saying a lot, said YES to my daughter, but then billed E7 on the first bill - They re-billed when the Email confirmation was pointed out, and paid £25 compensation
  • Garf
    Garf Posts: 101
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

    I had a Economy 10 (Dual Rate as the suppliers call it) Meter in my new build flat. I got it changed (for Free!) by EDF, to a standard (Single Rate) meter.

    Once the new meter was in I was able to complete a switch to British Gas. When I switched over to British Gas, it took a month before I was illegible for a Smart Meter. So then both my Gas and Electric were replaced with Smart Meters!
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
  • guestiee wrote: »
    Hi all,


    Just after a but of advice really as to how to play this.


    The house that I have moved into used to have storage heaters - they seem to be long gone. There remains an economy 7 meter which does not suit our lifestyle.


    I want to change to a smart meter. Should I ask the current providers to fit this, then switch to the cheapest deal locked in for 12 months elsewhere? Or move first then ask for the new meter?


    I presume if I switch first then I will need to sign up to an economy 7 plan?


    Hope this makes sense and that someone can advise me.
    Thanks
    I am a meter reader working for British Gas and so far I have not seen a domestic smart meter configured for Eco 7. Your best bet is to get your supplier to change the meter for a single rate meter and for this they have a right to make a charge.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.