Sainsburys advertise store as having parking but it's not free

Options

Comments

• redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    If a hotel advertised themselves as near a Motorway but it was a toll one would you expect them to pay the toll for you?

Not, but if the hotel advertised themselves as having parking I would be annoyed if it was an NCP car park over the road that cost £11 to use overnight.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • fleshandbone
    Options
    This Country....

10 Character Rule
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps this board is not for you?

Nowhere in the board description does it say that any vents (or warnings or praise) need to be about dramatic or life-threatening issues ... 1st world problems are equally welcome. :)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 October 2016 at 3:37PM
    Options
    If I'd looked up a particular store on the web, intending to drive there and saw parking listed - I would expect it to mean a car park on that store's land and controlled by them (or a subcontractor) which was free to customers. And by "free to customers" - that would include the scenario that ScarletMarble describes whereby you can claim the cost of parking back if you have actually been in the store. If it isn't free to customers - I would expect the price to be stated after the word "parking".

My local JS has always offered free parking to customers for a couple of hours - but in the last month has installed a big sign on entry that flashes up registration number and expected departure time - so I guess they have been filling up with commuter parking or something. Another I know of is very near a major hospital and implemented the"pay first and get credit back if you actually shop there" model because hospital visitors were taking the spaces. Compared to the cost of parking actually in the hospital grounds it's still a better deal to park at Sainsbury - so win-win.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    how do you know the OP saw it listed as a customer facility?

Because I toddled off to Sainsburys' Store Locator and checked the details of a few stores.
    photome wrote: »
    not that it really makes ant difference it listed parking which it has, it didnt list free parking for obvious reasons

By your bizarre reasoning Sainsburys could, perhaps should, list all facilities that are within walking distance of stores.
    In this store you can find…
    Customer facilities
    Parking

Third party parking is not an in-store parking facility.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    If a hotel advertised themselves as near a Motorway but it was a toll one would you expect them to pay the toll for you?

No, however if a hotel advertises parking as a hotel facility I would exepect parking to be provided by the hotel and not a third party.

Following your crazy logic a hotel could advertise Sky TV, then point punters to a pub across the road that shows football matches broadcast by Sky.
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    surely they have to advertise it as having parking which is within their control. The municipal parking could be closed for days and they couldn't do anything about it.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    Not, but if the hotel advertised themselves as having parking I would be annoyed if it was an NCP car park over the road that cost £11 to use overnight.

you need to be prepared to be annoyed as many hotels advertise parking which isnt free .

admittedly in the small print which is sometimes not easy to find, the charge can be more than £11 a night
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Two Sainsbury's I know of (Burton upon Trent and Ashbourne) both have customer parking but it's paid for with a refund when you spend over a certain amount.

Although they aren't wrong (the site does have parking) maybe they could've amended the website to alert patrons to the fact it isn't free?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't see the issue here. They said they have parking and they do! Parking means that. Parking isn't always free.

Shopping centre car parks have parking, but are rarely free. You don't expect the car park to be free, so why expect free parking at Sainsburys?

Yes free parking might encourage people to shop there, but Sainsburys are obviously getting enough people in. Also there might be limited parking in the area and don't want people leaving cars there for ages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure