PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cluster Flies!!!

Options
abillybob94
abillybob94 Posts: 27 Forumite
edited 2 October 2016 at 8:45AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi All

So we've had a lot of problems, we're buying this recently converted barn and so far have had all sorts of legal problems with the documentation. We have finally got to the point 6 months on where we can exchange and we have sorted it all out from a legal point of view.

We went back and visited the barn yesterday and found 2 issues, one was that there was damp showing near the front door of the property and the other was cluster flies, thousands of them. A lot of them had died in the upstairs bedrooms but I went to investigate in the loft and there was thousands of the things... Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them now!!!

Me and my partner are very worried this could become a huge problem and are unsure whether or not to go ahead with the purchase. We have contacted the seller directly and listed some of these issues but he hasn't bothered getting back to us as usual.

We were wondering if we should really be this worried, is there a simple tried and tested way to get rid of them and keep them out? We've looked at fumigation from products that apparently initially kill them and send them running away and then using an automatic dispenser to prevent them coming in like this one but we're unsure to how well these work and if they are at all effective?

We're really gutted and upset about the whole thing and hopefully you guys can give us some guidance!?

Thank you everyone!! :j

Here's some pictures...

Here, Here and Here

The pictures don't show it all unfortunately but trust me when I say there's thousands of them!! :(

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 October 2016 at 9:26AM
    Options
    It's part and parcel of living in the country. Every autumn they find places to overwinter, like attics, the interior of vans and in window frames. There can easily be a few hundred inside the frame of a sash window.

Last year, I had to stop my van 3 times in 20 miles, just to clear them from the cab, after they emerged from the heating vents. C'est la vie.

Some people aren't suited to life in the country, so it's as well to decide if that cap fits before purchase. We don't want to be told next that the farmer is spreading smelly ordure all over the field next door, or that he has had the temerity to drive his huge tractor within feet of your barn to get there, shaking it to the foundations.

No, I'm not kidding; that's an example of a real complaint lodged by a near neighbour in a barn conversion.

What I'm saying is that many people have an unrealistic idea of what country living is like, because it's frequently not all peace and tranquility. There are barking dogs, cockerels (guilty as charged!) tractors, odd smells and small irritations like these flies, which I've never encountered in towns.

I suspect that you can just bump them off with a standard fly spray like I do in my van. It's no biggie.

Just don't have bats!!!
  • Apoorwoman
    Options
    As Davesnave so rightly points out the joys of living in the country. We live in a barn conversion and also get cluster flies, but only in two of the bedrooms which face west. They seem to like the window frames as do the ladybirds which overwinter there. At times, in the Spring, we also get a certain type of small bee, most are dead or dying by the time we discover them, sad as they are rather cute and we have no idea how they get into these bedrooms.

And he mentioned bats!!! We have had periods of one bat a night. They come down the stairs and race round the kitchen. Bit like a Harry Potter movie and getting them out is a challenge.

You'll get used to it, but possibly not the spiders .... enjoy, you will love living there, as we do :D.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cluster flies; scarf round face - bennie hat pulled down over ears - work goggles - can of fly spray in each hand and go in like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I honestly thought there was a dead body in my loft when I had this problem...farmer in the pub explained about them. :rotfl:

Took 10 mins to empty the cans - opened all the windows - problem solved. They don't come every year - maybe 2 in 5.
    (don't forget to cover up the fish tank if you have one)
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ........yes flies etc are real pain but no-one's mentioned mice. They're coming back from their summer hols in droves, moving straight into the loft, behind kitchen units, between kitchen ceiling and upper floor, under the bath etc etc. The cat is anticipating a fat winter!

Plagued by wasps at the moment as I'm trying to peel a mountain of windfalls.

They're all reasonably harmless if you're not phobic and take sensible hygiene precautions and all part and parcel of living in the country I suppose. My hoover bag is full of hopefully by now dead flies!!
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    Apoorwoman wrote: »
    As Davesnave so rightly points out the joys of living in the country. We live in a barn conversion and also get cluster flies, but only in two of the bedrooms which face west. They seem to like the window frames as do the ladybirds which overwinter there. At times, in the Spring, we also get a certain type of small bee, most are dead or dying by the time we discover them, sad as they are rather cute and we have no idea how they get into these bedrooms.

And he mentioned bats!!! We have had periods of one bat a night. They come down the stairs and race round the kitchen. Bit like a Harry Potter movie and getting them out is a challenge.

You'll get used to it, but possibly not the spiders .... enjoy, you will love living there, as we do :D.

I wonder if your small bees are mason or mortar bees? We have them in the soft mortar between the brick and flint on our house, and I see them mainly in the spring time. Try googling that - they're not a problem, they just have a slightly different lifestyle to honey bees!
  • Apoorwoman
    Apoorwoman Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wonder if your small bees are mason or mortar bees? We have them in the soft mortar between the brick and flint on our house, and I see them mainly in the spring time. Try googling that - they're not a problem, they just have a slightly different lifestyle to honey bees!

Yes, have looked them up and you may well be right, but it states they are solitary bees, whilst we have dozens of them over the course of several days. They are not a problem, it just saddens me that I have not got to the room in time to open the windows for them to make their escape. We don't have any lofts so can't work out where they come from.
  • alumende27
    alumende27 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    The house I bought this time last year had a similar infestation. The were falling through the recessed lights in the bathrooms from the attic, there was a loud swarming noise from the loft every time the loft hatch was opened and the yellow insulation was black with dead ones.

I spoke to a local pest exterminator, they said there was little point treating for them until after first frost had killed them off outside otherwise they'd just keep coming in.

I ended up spraying several cans of fly killer in the loft, and tossing a few of those Vapona fly killing blocks up there. That seemed to the job, no similar infestation this year. It helps that the kittens manage to kill any flies that make it into the house.

I agree it's part and parcel of living in the country though.
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Options
    Flies, spiders, tractors, bats, mice, dogs, cockrels, bees, smells...they don't mention this stuff in Escape to the Country.

I hope there are no cows, geese, farmers, sheep, and slurry. *Shudders* It sounds torture :o.
    Mornië utulië
  • GrahamJeffs
    Options
    We had cluster flies in our attic in our last house. Try Agropharm Fortefog P mini fumers...they work. I got my last lot from Pest Control Direct Ltd...pestcontroldirect.co.uk

We got these after the local council did a fumigation and their expert recommended them.

Graham
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A victory of townies over ignorant country-folk:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10535524/Complaints-silence-church-bells-for-first-time-in-117-years.html

I also recall reading of a new house-owner who complained to the fire station next door about the sirens that went off - sometimes even at night!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure